Industrial boilers in thermal power plants have to withstand the harshest conditions and a high-temperature environment. Oerlikon Metco’s solutions protect boiler surfaces from erosion and corrosion, while operators benefit from higher coating quality, longer maintenance cycles, and thus greater efficiency.
Since the 1980s, Oerlikon Metco designs materials, coatings and equipment for industrial boilers. Our application engineers and material scientists know the challenges that your boiler is exposed to – be it chlorine corrosion (gas/molten salts) and erosion in the superheaters, abrasion, erosion, and corrosion on water walls, or corrosion on boiler surfaces.
Full-service Provider for Industrial Boiler Coating
The properties of a boiler coating are defined by the technologies and materials used. Thus, we offer unique solutions for：
- Corrosion resistance — thanks to low porosity and low oxide content
- Erosion resistance — for higher hardness that is proven to resist hot erosion
- Increased bond strength — that minimizes the risk of spallation during operation
We offer the full portfolio of Electric Arc Wire (EAW) spraying, HVOF (High Velocity Oxygen Fuel), and Laser Cladding materials, application equipment and coating solutions for all fuel type boilers — whether biomass, coal-fired or incinerator/waste-to-energy (WtE).
Further, our customers benefit from the experience of our teams in our dedicated coating shops where we provide qualified coating services for industrial boilers.
Designed for Highest Efficiency
Our EAW solutions are designed with our customers’ efficiency in mind. They protect boiler walls and components to significantly extend their lifetime and reduce outage time.
Our high-performance materials：
- Last longer
- Are less expensive to apply
- Result in more repeatable coating
Our state-of-the-art equipment is highly reliable and allows for faster application rates, potentially saving days, if not weeks of facility downtime.
Oerlikon Metco EAW Wire are Ideal for On-site Applications
We design our solutions with an understanding of the on-site conditions and the work environment for boiler applications. We place particular emphasis on the readability of our materials used to produce these EAW coatings. Coatings that are too thick lead to spallation, whereas coatings that are too thin, do not perform well enough. In both cases, though, the result is the same: tube leakage!
Thus, to produce the highest quality coating, we have engineered coating characteristics that support repeatable results and that convince with several advantages when compared to competitor products:
- Readability of coating thickness for increased reliability of the power plant
- Low dust production for better coating properties
- High tolerance against on-site application errors
- Highest adhesion for extended coating lifetime
MetcoBOIL: Tried and Tested HVOF Coatings for Waste-to-Energy (WtE), Biomass and Coal-Fired Boilers (CFB), as well as Coal Power Plants
Oerlikon Metco’s family of dedicated boiler coatings — MetcoBOIL — is applied through our own coating service facilities and has been highly successful on WtE plants and CFBs
- Numerous references spanning more than 10 years
- High adhesion due to high-velocity coating process
- Highest hardness — ideally suited for particle erosion
- High corrosion resistance — porosities of 1% and below achieved
Laser Cladding Materials
Laser Cladding is a proven process to coat boilers, using a laser that melts the base material and an additive powder to create a protective coating. At the point of contact, the part and powder can exceed 1370 °C (2500 °F) for a short period (< 1 s). This leads to a strong metallurgical bond: Laser cladding offers:
- Low Dilution (< 2%) with the base material
- Small Heat-Affected Zone (HAZ)
- Low thermal distortion
- Minimal porosity
- High repeatability
- Large variety of coating materials to meet a range of application requirements
- Coated areas are precisely controlled