Ceramic coatings and materials can offer enhanced properties such as thermal or electrical insulation, or wear and corrosion resistance. Let our experts help you choose an oxide ceramic tailored to your needs, including complete coating systems.
Proven Surfaces for Many Different Applications
The uses for ceramic materials, particularly ceramic coatings, is vast. To name just a few:
- Diesel engine pistons
- Automotive valves and cylinders
- Thermal barrier coatings for aircraft and industrial gas turbine combustion liners, blades, and vanes
- High temperature abradable coatings for turbine engine hot section components
- Electrolytes, interconnects, cathodes, and anodes for Solid Oxide Fuel Cells (SOFC)
- Anilox and corona rolls for the printing industry
- Calendar rollers, corrugating rollers, and doctor blades for paper manufacturing
- Oxygen sensors for select gas permeability
- Sputter targets used in Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) coating applications
- Fiber and thread guides for textile manufacturing
- Biomedical implants
- Stretch-tow and godet rollers for fiber manufacture
- Coatings to protect semi-conductor manufacturing chambers from plasma etching
- Industrial applications such as metal casting troughs, hydraulic cylinders, and mechanical seals
Large Variety of Standard Powder Chemistries
We warehouse and globally supply ceramic powders with base chemistries that include:
- Yttria-Stabilized Zirconia (YSZ)
- Lanthanum Strontium Manganite (LSM)
- Combination chemistries and exotic chemistries with rare earths
Oerlikon Metco manufactures oxide ceramic powders with particle size distributions optimized for the following processes:
- Atmospheric Powder Spray (APS)
- Combustion Powder Thermospray
- Plasma Spray-Physical Vapor Deposition (PS-PVD)
- Ceramic Injection Molding (CIM)
We also offer products for suspension plasma spray with powders that are premixed in solution and dry powders with dispersant ready for mixing with your suspension liquid.
Our ceramics are strategically manufactured to best suit the application. For example, we supply Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC) materials in several formats:
- Agglomerated and densified, spherical powders — best for standard porosity, high deposit-efficiency applications
- Agglomerated and sintered powders — best for high porosity, thick TBC coatings
- Fused and crushed powders — best for low porosity TBC coatings with improved erosion resistance
As thermal-sprayed oxide ceramic coatings require a bond coat for proper adhesion, let us recommend a bond coat material from our extensive portfolio of alloys and MCrAlY materials that is just right for your requirements.
Not only can we supply the right materials for your application, we can work with you on state-of-the-art, efficient coating application technology to provide the right coating structure and optimized processing.
New and Custom Solutions
Our Research and Development capabilities allow us to develop new oxide ceramic compositions and coatings for even the most challenging operating conditions, even with complex, exotic compositions. Rely on us for all your ceramic coating needs.