Surface Solutions Segment | Charlotte
Quality Control (QC) Technician
The technician will work within the Quality group at the North Carolina facility to support the Additive Manufacturing Production and Quality initiatives for Oerlikon AM US Inc. This position requires strong inspection knowledge, to include CMM, 3D Scanning, inspection methods and use of measuring equipment.
The technician will develop and maintain quality documents, records and effective inspection equipment preventative maintenance programs. The technician will inspect and validate product for development/prelaunch, production and quality investigations. This position will inspect fixtures, production components, and report results in technical reports as well as FAIR, PPAP or ADP per organizational and customer requirements. The technician will document and communicate non-conformances, support the maintenance of the QMS Database, and support quality initiatives and projects. The Technician will support quality inspections and audits as needed, and ensure QMS and AS9100 compliance.
The QC Technician - Inspection and Testing must be proficient in CMM programing and operation, dimensional metrology, measurement, inspection methods and calibration. The technician will also support component testing such as hardness, tensile and various quality validation testing as needed.
The ideal candidate will have working experience within aerospace and/or automotive industries and quality systems AS9100 / TS16949; working knowledge of APQP, Control Plans, FMEA, PPAP, and familiarity with the requirements of NADCAP certification and reporting.
Essential Job Functions: (Duties & Responsibilities): The primary duties consist of, but are not limited to the following:
- Programing and operation of CMM, 3D Scanning and various measuring equipment and devices.
- Generate CMM Inspection Reports - Collect, collate and report data results in required formats (FAIR, PPAP, ADP, etc.) per AS9102, Oerlikon AM and customer requirements.
- Interface with Quality, Engineering and Production to ensure test methods, processes and components are in accordance with customer requirements and the QMS.
- Schedule / manage workflow through the CMM and Quality Inspection areas.
- Support QMS maintenance and compliance; support NADCAP implementation.
- Perform CMM inspections of various AM components at various stages of the manufacturing process
- Supports risk assessments (DFMEA), in-process inspection, and final component inspection.
- Perform CMM inspection of component Fixtures, Gages, and Tooling as required.
- Comply with CMM program validation and gage suitability
- Must be able to communicate, assist and, train Production, Quality and Engineering personnel in the handling, use and care of plant measurement devices and inspection equipment.
- Perform general calibrations and preventative maintenance for quality inspection equipment
- Approves components for release.
- Performs, monitors and documents in-process checks, and quality related audits.
- Support: QMS, Internal Auditing, and Supplier Audits
- Responsible for reviewing and releasing finished product for shipping – Final Dock Audits.
- Reports any deviations, non-conformances, product, or in-process issues to Quality management.
- Complies with and enforces QMS, customer, and regulatory requirements.
- Maintains a high level of good housekeeping in accordance with 5S standards.
- Follows safe work practices, complies with Oerlikon’s Safety policies and procedures, proper and safe use of equipment and tools, and identifies and reports unsafe working conditions.
- Supports Quality investigations and reporting of non-conforming or returned components
All other duties as assigned by the Quality Manager
Key Result Areas (output of the position)
- Generate consistent high quality CMM programs and inspection reports
- Generate test procedures and methods to ensure high quality inspection data is obtained.
- Perform basic maintenance and calibration on inspection equipment.
- Ensure safe working environment
- Ensure work is scheduled and delivered on time with high quality and consistency.
- Proficiency in Dimensional Metrology, Measurement, Inspection and Calibration
- GD&T Geometrical Dimensional & Tolerancing
- Mechanical Aptitude
- Proficient in CMM (Mitutoyo) programing/operation, 3D Scanning and various inspection equipment.
- Basic maintenance and calibration of inspection gages and equipment.
- Knowledge of inspection methods, and use of measuring equipment (gages, mics, callipers, etc.).
- Knowledge of measuring equipment and gage calibration - ISO/IEC 17025
- Excellent understanding of Sources of error
- Excellent understanding of Variable vs. Attribute gaging
- Standards – gage blocks, pins, rings, surface plates, etc.
- Hand tools – micrometres, callipers, indicators, etc.
- Excellent understanding of major instruments – optical methods, CMMS, form, surface finish, lasers, etc.
- Selection of proper tools
- Proficient in Measurement planning
- Understanding of component Traceability requirements
- Knowledge of various measuring equipment
- Understanding of Product fundamentals
- Understands and communicates Language in units
- Knowledge of measurement quality
- Knowledge, fundamentals of MSA - Gage R&R
- Knowledge fundamentals of Measurement uncertainty
- Proficient utilizing Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMMs)
- Understanding of Surface Roughness
- Understanding of specifications
- Understands measurement methods
- Understands conformance decision rules
- Knowledgeable in the use of Digital Metrology Data
- Understands requirements of Information Management
- Ability to learn and operate testing equipment for component validation.
- Capable of developing and following procedures to maintain quality and consistency of work.
- Attention to detail and maintains a clean, organized (5S), and safe working environment.
- Team player with excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Strong Computer Skills: Word, Outlook, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio, Mini Tab, SPC Software
- Manufacturing Process/System/Quality Knowledge
- Quality Concepts: problem solving, 8D / RCCA analysis
- Lean Six Sigma - Manufacturing methodology
- Time Management, multi-task of daily priorities and projects
- Ensure workflow through CMM and Quality Inspection areas are performed with high quality in an efficient manner.
- Must be highly motivated, diligent, structured and disciplined to achieve deadlines
- Communicate, assist and, train Production, Quality and Engineering personnel in the handling, use and care of plant measurement devices and inspection equipment.
Interfaces / Collaboration
- Work closely with the Metallurgy Technology Vertical
- AM Quality, Production, R&D and Engineering Teams in Charlotte
- Metallurgical laboratory Team in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- External resources (Equipment Partners, Suppliers, Test Labs)
- Interim: Quality Manager, Charlotte NC, US
- Future: Quality Manger, Huntersville NC, US
Education / Experience & Requirements:
- Associates of Science Degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical/engineering discipline, with at least 5 years of experience in component inspection and testing; or, High School Diploma with at least 5 years of relative experience.
- Relative CMM Programming and Inspection experience: At least 5 years of experience operating CMM and a wide variety of measuring equipment.
- 4+ years of layout inspection.
- Read and interpret blueprints, drawings, Magics data and applicable specifications
- Able to use general inspection equipment, including micrometers, calipers, bore gauges, etc.
- Solid knowledge of GD&T including ANSI-Y-14.5, PWA 360, PWA 79360
- In depth knowledge of CMM software including alignments, tolerances, use of CAD solid models, off-line programming, data formats and exporting measurement data
- Able to incorporate changes in CMM technology, software and capabilities into CMM inspection and programs
- Use of the CMM for inspection in the manual mode
- Previous experience in an aerospace or automotive environment.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience as a CMM Inspector.
- Good working knowledge of GD&T, measurement methods and measurement equipment
- Possess excellent computer skills.
- Working knowledge of Verisurf or other CMM Inspection software.
- CAD CAM Skills. Preferably experience with Magics, and Mastercam.
- Advanced working knowledge of MS Word, Access, Excel, MiniTab and the ability to learn other software.
- Ability to use various measuring tools such as Height Gauges, Dial Indicators, Calipers, Micrometers, etc.
- Possesses good interpersonal and communication skills. Works well with others and has a positive attitude.
- Experience working within a quality system such as AS9100, or TS16949 is required.
- Demonstrates a minimum of 2 years with one or more of the following: CAD CAM skills, Magics, MasterCam, Solidworks, Verisurf.
- Experience in implementing and maintaining NADCAP certified inspection is preferred.
- Understanding of ITAR requirements is preferred
- Six Sigma Green Belt a plus
- Competitive Base Salary + Comission
- Opportunity that offers both international and domestic travel
- Start up enviroment geared towards entrepenurial outlook/views
- Fanastic health, dental, vision and 401k benefits
- The opportunity to bring a new technology to production and impact the manufacturing sector in a positive way that has not been done before
- Advertised Since
Import as VCF
With your application you agree that your personal data for the purpose of personnel planning and the development of your career will be used by a third party employed by the OC Oerlikon Corporation. In line with the usage of these data access is granted for a third party outside the area of validity of the EG directive. We will take care that your rights according to EG guidelines will be granted within such a further use. Hereby we inform you that you have the right/request of information about the further use as well as about content and structuring of your personal data. You can recall your agreement at any time.