Data Privacy Notice
(Last update: September 2016)
OC Oerlikon Corporation AG, Pfäffikon, Switzerland and its group of companies (“Oerlikon”) is committed to safeguarding your privacy. This Data Privacy Notice describes the way Oerlikon processes the personal data that you may share with us while navigating our websites.
Generally, we will only process your data as described in this Data Privacy Notice. However, we reserve the right to conduct additional processing to the extent permitted or required by law, or in support of any legal or crime investigation.
- What types of personal data do we collect and how?
- Why do we collect personal information?
- With whom do we share your personal data?
- Will your personal data be transferred abroad?
- How do we protect your personal data?
- For how long do we keep your data?
- What privacy choices do you have?
- Links to third parties sites
- Changes to this data privacy notice
What types of personal data do we collect and how?
When you navigate and use our website, you may share your personal data with Oerlikon two ways:
- Personal data that you provide: We collect personal data that you may enter into forms or data fields on our website or online resources. Such information may include, but are not limited to, contact information (such as your name, email address, postal address, and telephone number), professional credentials, information about the company that you represent, user preferences (preferred language), and any other personal data that you voluntarily provide to us in the text of your enquiries and posts on our blog. Some of our websites enable users to place orders: these websites may collect credit card information to process those orders.
Why do we collect personal data?
When you navigate our website, we collect, use, and process personal data about you only:
- To administer, operate, and maintain the website;
- To answer your questions and respond to your requests;
- To send you our newsletter, in the case you have so requested;
- To process your orders;
- Grant you access to certain information or offerings;
- To communicate with you on other matters (to send you updates and security alerts);
- For the purposes you have specifically agreed to;
- For other purposes as permitted or required by law.
We also process your personal data to enable you to use online social media resources and to post or share personal data with others. The social media resources currently available on our website are a blog and the referral functions to share website content with a friend or colleague via email or social media platforms. Please be aware that you should consider carefully what information about yourself you choose to share with others when you use social media resources.
We will seek your consent before collecting, processing and using your personal data where legally required. If we wish to use your personal data for other different purposes than those mentioned above, we will do it only if permitted by applicable laws or if you have consented to it.
With whom do we share your personal data?
For the purposes mentioned in this Data Privacy Notice, we may share your personal data among the Oerlikon group of companies and with other third parties. We will retain control of and responsibility for the use of this information. We will not sell, share, or otherwise distribute your personal data to third parties except as provided by this Data Privacy Notice. However, during business reorganizations or divestitures of our business through sale, mergers or acquisitions, personal data may be shared with actual or perspective purchasers.
Possible recipients of your personal data are the following:
- Oerlikon group companies: We may disclose and share your personal data within the Oerlikon group of companies worldwide that agree to treat it in accordance with this Data Privacy Notice, as long and to the extent this is necessary to fulfill your requests (e.g., where a request for information focuses on a specific business segment) or if there is a legitimate reason to do so and such sharing is legally permissible;
- Third party service providers: We may employ third party service providers engaged by us to perform certain tasks and services on our behalf and under our instructions. For example, in connection with the operation of the website, Oerlikon works with service providers such as a hosting provider. Other third party services providers may include IT companies doing technological maintenance or working on our behalf to help fulfill business transactions, payment processors. Any third party provider will have access only to such personal data needed to perform its specific functions and only for such purpose. These third parties have contracted with us to only use the personal data for the agreed outsourcing purpose, and not to sell your personal data to other third parties, and not to disclose them to third parties except as may be required by law, as permitted by us, or as stated in this Data Privacy Notice.
- Social media platforms and tools: If you share the content of this website on social media and if you share your thoughts on our blog, your personal data may be seen by or shared with other users of the website, but only as required in connection with such functions.
- Courts and Law enforcement: Your personal data may be disclosed by us to comply with the law, to protect the rights or safety of our website, other users or third parties. This may include cases in which we are required to respond to appropriate requests of legitimate government agencies or where required by applicable laws, court order, law enforcement, authorities and regulators.
Will your personal data be transferred abroad?
Within the purposes mentioned in this Data Privacy Notice, and having the Oerlikon group a global footprint, your personal data may transferred to other countries (e.g., when you request information about products offered by one of our subsidiaries located in a foreign country, your personal data may be shared to such subsidiaries in order to properly answer to your query). This may include the United States and other countries whose data protection laws may differ from the jurisdiction you live in. In such a case, we will ensure that appropriate protections are in place to maintain a level of data protection equivalent to those that apply in the country in which you live. A list of countries where Oerlikon is located can be found at www.oerlikon.com.
How do we protect your personal data?
Oerlikon uses technology, physical and information security precautions, rules and other procedures to safeguard your personal data from unauthorized access, alteration, loss, and destruction.
For how long do we keep your data?
We will retain personal data for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
What privacy choices do you have?
- No personal data collection: you may choose not provide personal information to us by electing not to fill in any data field, unless your identification is strictly necessary. Be aware that if you decide to uphold some necessary information, we may not be able to provide you with the requested services or functionality, or to respond to your query.
- Limitations and options regarding uses of your personal data: some of our website online resources may request your permission to use and disclose your personal data in order to add you to our contact list or to allow you to receive our newsletter, or to receive updates on a particular topic. You can choose not to opt-in to those additional features. Additionally, you can change or withdrawn any consent you have given with future effect or use our opt-out options provided in our newsletter.
- Right of Access: if you wish to have confirmation as to whether we process personal data about you, the categories of data about you, the purposes of processing and the source of your data, the categories of recipients, you can always contact us at email@example.com with your request.
- Update, rectify, block, or delete your personal data: whenever we process personal data, we take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal data are kept accurate and up-to date for the purposes for which they were collected. Oerlikon will respond to all legitimate requests for information about the processing of your data and, where applicable, to update, rectify, block, or delete your personal data. If you wish to make such a request or if you have any question or comment regarding this Data Privacy Notice, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your questions and suggestions.
Links to third parties sites
This Privacy Notice applies only to our website, and not to websites owned by third parties or social media that we may provide links to. Please, review carefully the privacy policies and notices of third parties websites before providing them with your personal data.
Changes to this data privacy notice
If our Data Privacy Notice changes in any way, Oerlikon will place an updated version of the policy on this page, so that you are fully informed concerning the types of information we collect, how we use it, and under what circumstances it may be disclosed.
(Last update: December 17, 2015)
When you visit Oerlikon websites, information is stored on your terminal device in the form of a "cookie". Cookies are text files containing small amounts of information that are stored on your terminal device when you visit a website. Cookies are then sent back to the website when you return to it: in this way, the website recognizes your device and remembers your settings. To find out more about cookies please visit www.allaboutcookies.org or www.aboutcookies.org.
If you do not want Oerlikon to recognize your terminal device, please configure your Internet browser to erase all cookies from your device, to block all cookies or to receive a warning before a cookie is stored. You will find brief instructions on how to do this below.
Please note that certain functions of Oerlikon websites may no longer work, or not correctly, without cookies.
2. Types of cookies we use
Cookies can be assigned to four categories, depending on their function and intended purpose: absolutely necessary cookies, performance cookies, functional cookies, and cookies for marketing purposes.
a. Absolutely necessary cookies
These cookies are needed for you to navigate within Oerlikon websites and operate basic website functions, such as the issuance of anonymous Session IDs for bundling several related queries to a server.
b. Performance cookies
These cookies collect information on the usage of Oerlikon websites, including for ex-ample the Internet browsers and operating systems used, the domain name of the website which you previously visited, the number of visits, average duration of visit, and pages called up.
These cookies do not store any information that would make it possible to personally identify the user. The information collected with the aid of these cookies is aggregated and is therefore anonymous. Performance cookies serve the purpose of improving the user friendliness of a website and therefore enhancing the user’s experience. You can block the use of such cookies by creating an exclusion cookie.
c. Functional cookies
These cookies enable a website to store information the user has already entered (such as user ID, language selection, or the user’s location), in order to offer improved, personalized functions to the user. Functional cookies are also used to enable requested functions such as playing videos.
3. Google Analytics
4. Deactivate cookies
If you wish to restrict or block web browser cookies which are set on your device you can do so through your browser settings. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org, which contain comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of browsers.