Advances in orthopedics have ushered in a whole new side of medical manufacturing. With the introduction of Additive Manufacturing (3D Printing) in metals coupled with an industry wide trend in ground breaking products, patients have more options and more access to solutions that were only napkin sketches a few years ago. We need your expertise to ensure that even more can benefit from these ground breaking advancements.
From its early days of invention at MIT, Additive Manufacturing is on the very cusp of re-inventing what we know and understand about manufacturing and the 3D objects we can now create using state of the art technologies.
From customer supported design and rapid prototyping through to full scale ramp up and series manufacture, our AM business is on a rapid growth path. Being born just 3 years ago, our new “baby” has rapidly evolved to be a cornerstone in the future global business strategy and already works with some of the worlds most respected organizations in the Aerospace, Medical and other industries across Europe and the Americas.
Continued expansion and structural adaptation means we are looking for a new General Manager in a state of the art Medical division based in Shelton, Connecticut. In this role you will not only be a General Manager by name; but also very much by nature.
In short the whole AM Medical business in the Americas sits on your shoulders – so they need to be broad. The good news is, despite being a Medical division you do not need to be a brain surgeon – but you do need to be a bit of a wizard as you will be accountable for numerous activities such as customer relations, on site operational activities, staffing, capacity & asset utilization, shaping local strategy and footprint, adhering to government EH&S guidelines and of course the P&L amongst other cool things.
You are a leader who left “thinking in a box” behind a long time ago because in AM there is no box anymore. You will have led a reasonable sized business in either Additive Manufacturing or other similar technology led industry; you may have experience in the Orthopedic environment and have almost definitely worked in a highly regulated situations. You have perhaps led & inspired sales, operations and manufacturing teams; Run (successfully) a P&L; Devised strategies, or have been challenged by operational tasks that encouraged your teams to achieve what sometimes felt was impossible.
You will need to be able to demonstrate an affinity & passion for what our business does and how we do it well. You are not new at this; you are seasoned, with several years’ experience behind you. You will be expected to hit the road with well-worn shoes with a few good years left in them.
You need to be happy in a very fast paced and high pressured environment with some ambiguity, change and volatility. This is not an armchair job. In fact you will probably get regularly pulled in different directions; you may not always have time to do the things you want but you will have room to learn, grow, play with new ideas and travel across the region.
You will report to the Global Business Head based in Germany, who in turn is your access to the top of company tree. You will have a lot of eager and hardworking teams working for you that will allow you to tap into the expertise and passion of other colleagues in the diversified, multicultural & experienced team.
If you like what you are reading so far, check out the details and make a decision.
- Accountable for customer relations, steering, building, maintaining customer business and accounts to support the business growth in the Orthopedic industry
- Responsible for all operations activities on site, compliance, contacts to local authorities, development of the site along the business and operations strategy.
- Driving and controlling responsible assess utilization, asset development and footprint adjustments in line with the AM strategy and needs of the AM Medical business
- Define local AM Oerlikon service offering and commercial value proposition in Medical including geographies served, key industries, customer segments and production services offered.
Operations and continuous improvement
- Supports building of process and Validation, prototyping techniques and thereby, paving the way for future production methods and advanced manufacturing technologies.
- Responsible for continuous improvement of the service provided to the customer through executing initiatives such as 5S, lean management, KPIs system, reporting, monitoring.
M&A activities support & deployment
- Play an eventual support role in the assessment of potential M&A targets to support the local AM business
- Engage in the M&A process to support the AM team in terms of assessment of the asset base of the target, operational due diligence as well as the integration process from the operational perspective to ensure the new acquired plant(s) cope with AM standards in terms of equipment/workflow/management systems as well as HSE.
Knowledge & Skills Summary:
Must haves, do not even apply if you cannot demonstrate:
Demonstrated experience in building customer relations and sustainable networks with decision makers within orthopedic or medical device companies. Track record in managing and engineering production sites in an international company (preferred AM, engineered components, Orthopaedics , Implants or Medical sectors,) – production technology background Able to handle the rapid pace of a startup culture; Self-driven, open and positive mind set with experience in international and cross-cultural business environment, entrepreneurial mind set Proven leadership track record Experience with project management processes, acted as project manager for major projects Strategic planning record and experience
- Desire and readiness to travel 30-40% of your time and sometimes at ugly hours
Big shoulders to handle lots of pressure
Nice to haves, that will help you in your application
Experience in additive/advanced manufacturing production services considered a strong plus; Orthopaedics more so, components engineering & manufacturing, application engineering service provider (knowing production process) Experience in compliance, HSE and other related topics University degree in manufacturing technology (operations) combined with further education in business administration / Engineering Experience with high tech and innovative companies English, Spanish or other languages useful but is not critical Able to handle upto 25% travel with a family that supports that if applicable