Thermal Spray Abradable Materials for Clearance Control Coatings
Abradable coating solutions improve safety and reduce fuel consumption and emissions in turbomachinery. Whether for aviation gas turbines, or power generation gas or steam turbines, we have abradable materials for your clearance control applications.
We design and produce abradable materials for critical turbomachinery clearance control applications. Our composite abradable thermal spray powders are of the highest quality and consistency for long-lasting service.
Solutions for aircraft gas turbine engines
Our abradable solutions significantly improve efficiency and operational safety of aircraft propulsion engines. These products log millions of flight hours each and every year on civil and military turbofan, turboprop, and turboshaft engines.
- Rotor path linings
- Low-, intermediate-, and high-pressure compressor seals
- High-pressure turbine seals
- Bearing air seals
- Oil seals
- Other labyrinth seal configurations
- Reduces Specific Fuel Consumption (SFC)
- Increases compressor stall margins
- Lowers engine Exhaust Gas Temperatures (EGT), extending the engine on-wing time
Typical clearance control applications for aircraft turbine engines.
Gas turbines used in power generation and mechanical drive applications
Our abradable materials are applied as clearance control coatings to industrial gas turbine compressors, improving compressor efficiency up to 5%. On the first stages of the turbine section, our ceramic abradable materials are applied to shroud seal segments to reduce overall clearances, thereby improving stage efficiency up to 2%.
- Improves power output
- Lowers fuel consumption
- Reduces greenhouse gas emissions
- Significantly reduces annual operating costs of large power generation turbines
Typical clearance control applications for industrial gas turbines.
Abradable clearance control solutions for steam turbines
- Shaft seals
- Balance piston seals
- Steam flow path seals over shrouded rotor blades for Supercritical (SC) and Ultra Supercritical (USC) steam applications
- Improves turbine efficiency
- Reduces carbon dioxide emissions
- Saves fuel
- Reduces environmental costs
We can apply abradable coatings at the site of your steam turbine assembly or repair using methods and equipment we have developed. For such on-site applications, please contact Oerlikon Metco Surface Services.
Typical clearance control applications for steam turbines.