Position Title: Senior Materials Engineer
Location: Houston, TX
The Senior Materials Engineer will play a key role in continuously improving the technical capabilities and product, process and system offerings of OM for increased customer satisfaction, business growth and profitability. The Senior Materials Engineer will perform all the necessary laboratory activities needed for successful completion of his (her) own projects as well as assist in other projects as instructed by the R & D Manager.
Primary focus will be materials used in downhole earth engaging tools, these include; metal powders and alloys, metal matrix composites, hardfacings and coatings.
- Conceive new product, process and test method development projects, write project proposals, plan, execute and successfully complete the projects in accordance with OM protocol. It is expected that multiple-projects and activities will need to be managed from concept-to-commercialization
- Support product and customers
- Interface cooperatively with technical internal and external interfaces, not limited to Universities and professional bodies
- Perform patent searches and actively participate in Intellectual Property
- Write technical reports and make technical presentations as required both internally and at conferences
- Be aware and manage activities relative to commercial business needs
- Perform routine powder characterization tests such as density (true, bulk and tap), particle size distribution by laser diffraction, sieve analysis or Fisher sub sieve analyzer
- Perform sample preparation, sectioning, mounting, grinding, polishing and etching of samples for microstructural examination
- Use stereo and optical microscopes to examine and record the microstructure of samples
- Perform SEM/EDS analysis on samples as required
- Conduct wear tests such as ASTM G65, B611, record and analyze the data
- Keep accurate records of all the data and observations and report as needed
- Document the various test procedures as needed
- Suggest improvements to test methods and procedures
- Make recommendations for changes to the existing equipment or for acquisition of new equipment for increased efficiency and productivity in the laboratory
- Make customer and vendor contacts and visits as needed
- Assists with the maintenance of SAP to ensure data integrity.
- Supports 5S and lean manufacturing initiatives.
- Minimum: Master of Science in Materials Science and/or Engineering from an accredited university
- Preferred: Doctorate of Science in Materials Science and/or Engineering from an accredited university
- Welding, hardfacing materials and applications; Laser-Deposition, Oxy-Acetylene, PTA, HVOF
- Composites manufactured via; liquid metal infiltration, sintering, Additive Manufacturing
- Minimum five year experience in a manufacturing and testing environment.
- Proficient in using MS Office programs such as Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of SAP preferred.
- Excellent verbal, written, team building and presentation skills required.
- Available to travel up to 25% to other Oerlikon Sites.