Job Title: Quality Engineer – Manufacturing
Date: November 15, 2019
Reports to: Quality Manager
Department: Materials, Quality
Location: Westbury, NY
I. POSITION SUMMARY
The Quality Engineer will work with Research and Development, Sourcing, and Engineering to realize new product introductions in manufacturing and will be responsible for reviewing first article inspection results and preparing first article reports. Responsibilities include new product introduction, continuous product/process improvement and the collection and analysis of data to identify trends and improvement opportunities. The position supports change management that has the potential to impact quality of the final product, impact customer requirements, or quality and regulatory standards to which the company subscribes including AS9100 and ISO 14001. The Quality Engineer is responsible for process FMEAs, technical reviews of manufacturing documentation, and specifications.
II. PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in the commercialization of new products to ensure timeliness to market with emphasis on the product realization process using advanced product quality planning (APQP) techniques.
- Participates in the vendor change process to coordinate activities among departments including Sourcing, Product Portfolio/Change Management, R&D, Engineering, and Quality to support raw material qualification.
- Facilitate meetings of cross-functional teams to ensure changes are managed effectively and efficiently.
- Leads and/or supports all FAI related tasks for proper documentation to ensure conformance to requirements.
- Compiles and analyzes first production test data to determine whether systems or processes have met the FAI criteria or to raise non-conformance reports as necessary to address root cause and corrective action.
- Monitors stability of new/modified products and reports to management team.
- Facilitates manufacturing changes via the change request process.
- Prepares Specification Change Requests to affect specifications that influence first time right production or reflect supplier/production capabilities.
- Creates inspection plans in SAP for external material groups.
- Supports SAP MII (SAP Manufacturing Integration and Intelligence) implementation to promote problem-solving within the production environment using data analysis from the interface of equipment technology with SAP.
- Uses continual improvement activities to enhance the quality system, such as 5S and Kaizen lean methods.
III. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience working within a Quality Management System is preferred, with knowledge of AS9100 and/or ISO 9001 Standards.
- Experience in the automotive framework of procedures and techniques of Advance Product Quality Planning and Pre-production Approval Process for New Product Introduction is desired.
- Certified Quality Engineer and Lean Six Sigma Green or Black belt is an advantage.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Material Science/Chemistry or Engineering or other science degree with a minimum of 3 years relevant work experience.
- Ability to use problem-solving techniques and root cause analysis to ensure fast resolution to change validation process.
- Experience in writing test plans, project plans, procedures and project schedules.
- Ability to multitask and work independently with minimal supervision.
- Must be customer focused and a team player and be able to get results from cross-functional teams.
- Relevant competencies with MS Office tools, Visio, Minitab, Project Management and SAP.
- Broad knowledge of theory and principles of statistics and statistical process control, 8D and FMEA.
- Excellent written and verbal skills with the ability to represent the company professionally and communicate clearly and confidently.