Job Title: Product Manager, Cutting Tools
Primary focus is on marketing and sales of high performance technologies for cutting tools (hard carbon, diamond, S3P and other new solutions) in the United States region (BUS). Responsible for expanding the customer base for new cutting tool solution technology applications in the Energy, Oil & Gas, Aerospace, Precision Components, Automotive, etc. markets. Assist in tool tests and developing new business and applications where coating on cutting tools will add value to customer (cost reduction, improved cycle time, improved tool life). Develop and manage a portfolio of key project accounts as assigned by responsible Head of Cutting Tools Americas. Generate sales leads for PVD coating services to OEMs, end-users, and manufacturers. Provides a technical consultative sales support to other BUS sales personnel. Provides total solutions (i.e., technical presentations to OEM tool makers, shop-floor demonstrations, etc) as well as consultative services to customers and their agents. Acts as the first point-of-contact for proof-of-solutions. Works effectively with internal customers (Engineering, Operations, Product Management, BTS Segment Managers, ASC/R&D) in order to address technical and commercial questions raised by customers.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide expertise regarding new technology coatings (hard carbon, diamond, S3P and high performance coatings/solutions)
- Drive the business and develop opportunities for Oerlikon Balzers high performance technologies
- Manage and grow assigned key accounts
- Represent Oerlikon Balzers in the marketplace. Effectively communicate the value of Oerlikon Balzers solutions. Act as spokesperson as required
- Develop new business by working with production staff and Product Managers
- Manage new growth projects independently and orchestrate support functions
- Conduct tests and document results in detail and interact with segment experts nationwide and globally to solve upcoming challenges
- Assist sales team members in prospecting for future business and building long-term relationships; collaborates with Territory Account Managers and Segment Managers at Balzers Technology & Service Center
- Participate in special projects as assigned
- Maintain relevant customer/account information using Balzers CRM (customer information) database
- Conduce Customer Seminars, able to communicate on a clear way for internal and external customers
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Engineering; equivalent experience may substitute
- 7-10 years of experience selling in a manufacturing or industrial industry related to machining and cutting tools
- 3+ years of experience with service or consultative sales approach required
- Broad understanding of manufacturing processes from and users perspective – milling, cutting, machining operations and TOOL GEOMETRIES
- Experience working in the cutting tool industry
- Strong connections, solid reputation in target industries
- Knowledge regarding PVD solutions and surface treatments preferred
- Proficiency working with MS Office (i.e., Excel, Work, and PowerPoint) is required
- Effective verbal /writing skills and strong presentation skills required
- Must be energetic, goals-driven, result-oriented, and high-energy to be effective in this role
- Must be willing to travel overnight minimum of 60%
We provide more than just competitive pay and benefits packages, Oerlikon provides growth opportunity, training and development and work life balance. Oerlikon is, above all, a company dedicated to quality and built on a strong foundation of innovation, excellence, long-term commitments and entrepreneurial spirit.
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 13,500 employees at more than 170 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.7 billion in 2015. The company invested CHF 103 million in R&D in 2015 and has over 1,350 specialists developing innovative and customer-oriented products and services. Oerlikon Balzers develops processes and systems for the coating of tools, components and decorative plastic elements. Comprising 106 locations in 34 countries, Balzers global network of coating centers is daily dedicated to further improving component performance and tooling productivity through coating technology. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team!
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon Balzers is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon Balzers to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon Balzers is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.