Product Line Manager, Charlotte, NC
Additive Manufacturing is responsible for evaluating, enhancing, and managing the AM materials portfolio in order to establish and maintain a sustainable competitive advantage in the industry. The PLM will manage the lifecycle of all AM materials and serve as the internal AM materials market expert. He/She will serve as the primary liaison between the AM and Metco BUs (operations and R&D) and be responsible for developing and implementing a go to market strategy for new AM materials. The position holder’s key responsibilities will be to develop strategies for new material offerings to support the global sales budget, optimize existing material portfolio to achieve target gross margins, develop strategic material partnerships that enhance AM’s market position, and support materials sale opportunities through customer visits. He/she will be responsible for AM material production performance and will monitor production metrics through regular reviews with Metco operations. He/she will engage senior decision makers internally and at key customers as required to achieve objectives and prepare a business case approach to new material development that meets the objectives of multiple stakeholders within the customer’s and Oerlikon organisations. He/she will work with sales managers to evaluate and negotiate long term sales agreements (LTSAs) to secure long term engagements between Oerlikon and the customer.
Drive business and market intelligence (market & customer segmentation, SWOT analysis of competitors, positioning)
Utilizes extensive personal network to identify strategic partners, channel strategies, new customers
Actively manages the AM material portfolio and individual material lifecycle in close alignment with R&D, operations, & sales teams Serves as the point of contact for procurement team, including key supplier interfaces, coordination of cross functional strategic relationships, and material specification development
Attends and presents at conferences and tradeshows to network, generate contacts and build awareness
Works closely with Head of Materials / Marketing and Head of Sales to evaluate, establish, and implement annual sales budget targets
Engages senior decision makers at other internal business units and key customers, as requested by Sales / BD
Establishes and manages an internal request for product (RFP) process, working with sales and R&D to prioritize based on business case development
Develops a comprehensive materials roadmap – market trends, business drivers, decision making personnel and drivers, and identifies potential opportunities to differentiate.
Creates & communicates the material roadmap strategy and business cases to all relevant participants, stakeholders, and senior executives
Supports BD / Sales on long term contract negotiations to secure sales and mitigate volatility
Singularly responsible for monitoring and managing performance of supporting BUs, including defining measurement metrics, regular monitoring, and developing timely recovery plans for suboptimal performance
Actively seeks to build Oerlikon’s materials market share through new material development, strategic partnerships, and intellectual property opportunities
Actively identifies, supports and executes customer binding strategies – long term agreements, collaboration agreements, MoUs, etc.
Engages Group Strategy on M&A opportunities as requested or identified
- University degree in engineering, manufacturing technology or other technical/engineering degree.
- MBA in finance or marketing would be a strong positive.
- Significant (10+ years’) experience in the metals or powders industry, in either an operations or commercial role, strong preference for both.
- Experience in Sales or Business Development, preferably as a Key Account Manager, and negotiating long terms sales agreements.
- Experience in Additive Manufacturing production services, components engineering, manufacturing to print or applications engineering would be considered a strong plus. Experience with Project Management processes or acted as Project Manager for major projects.
- Experience with Quality Assurance processes, compliance and certification topics.
- Experience in developing communications for and leading discussions with senior executives.
- Experience with SAP would be considered a strong plus
- Comfortable in a start-up environment with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- Superior listening skills and persuasive power.
- Self-driven, open and positive mind set with experience in international and cross-cultural business environment.
- Strategic thinker comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
- Fluent in English (both strong verbal and written communication skills); other languages beneficial
- Flexible to extensive travel internationally
- This position must satisfy ITAR compliance requirements, therefore candidates must be U.S. Citizens or Permanent Resident Card Holder.
- Must be able to communicate complex information in a clear manner to a multi-tiered audience including senior management, sales, customers, and operations
Key Result Areas (output of the position):AM Material Market Analysis Develop a detailed market analysis, with external support if necessary, of the key component manufacturers in the AM Materials industry, showing the structured supply chain, demands and requirements of key competitors (such as certification standards, production, legal requirements and design authority etc.) and current market share and projected market growth.
Sales Development for AM Materials Develops a prioritized new materials roadmap to support the sales budget / growth targets for AM Materials.
Value Proposition Development Identify the key customer material demands in each vertical to generate further business opportunities, relating to certifications, quality, capabilities and expertise. Translate these demands into a coherent value proposition that can be shared with the BD / Sales team for communication within their specific industry.
Sales Support / Response Utilizes the key operational metrics to monitor critical sales support activities, relating to on time delivery performance, new product speed to market, regional inventories, order processing, and organizational workflow to minimize quote development.
M&A activities support & deployment Identify and assess potential M&A targets. Engage in the M&A process to support the AM Team in terms of assessment of the asset base of the target, commercial operations, manufacturing, IP and management as well as the subsequent integration process.
- Direct high-level discussions with senior executives, channel partners, and suppliers
- Must demonstrate a strong and collaborative leadership style
- Must be highly creative, motivated, structured and disciplined to achieve targets
- Proven leader across multiple platforms of interaction, including operations, customers, and senior executive levels.
- Senior Executives
- Operations / technicians
- Other AM CoC’s (PhD’s, R&D, lab technicians)
- External resources (machine manufacturers, competitors, distributors)
- Building Effective Teams
- Drive for Results
- Cooperative Relationships
- Strong Business Acumen