Position: Material Process Engineer
Location: Plymouth, MI
The Process Engineer uses good engineering practices to improve production processes with regards to safety, health, environmental, quality, and productivity while minimizing wastes and costs. He/she typically serves as a member of the facility leadership team and possesses a thorough understanding of standards, concepts, practices, and procedures for metal powder production operations. He/she is self-sufficient, with overall project(s) responsibility and scope depending on his/her skills and competencies. He/she is challenged to support the day-to-day business needs while pursuing mid-term goals. He/she develops/implements a certain degree of creativity and latitude in performing a variety of tasks.
- Perform the duties identified for this job description to the best of your abilities at all times, taking sole responsibility for your actions and the results thereof.
- Ensure Environmental, Safety, and Health, quality, inventory, and productivity goals are met.
- Design and direct the testing or control of processing procedures. Gather process data. Analyze process capabilities and efficiencies.
- Review, evaluate and/or recommend materials, instruments, and equipment.
- Read, write, and/or review standard operating procedures, standard capital projects, purchase requisitions and purchase orders.
- Analyze root causes, non-conformances, and/or complaints. Implement corrective and preventive actions to eliminate to recurrence using quality and engineering toolboxes.
- Support site initiatives to reduce inventory, costs and or lead.
- Support capital projects so that they are on time and within budget.
- Support special projects as needed by senior management.
- Maintain liaison with vendors and improvement activities.
- Provide technical training to process operators and lead persons where applicable.
- Monitor material performance and evaluate material deterioration. Analyze failure data and laboratory test results to determine causes of problems and to develop solutions.
- Conduct or supervise tests on raw materials or finished products to ensure their quality.
- Plan and implement laboratory operations for the purpose of developing material and fabrication procedures that meet cost, product specification, and performance standards.
- Plan and evaluate new projects, consulting with other engineers and corporate executives, as necessary.
- Guide technical staff engaged in developing materials for specific uses in projected products.
- Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to process or product design objectives.
- Supervise production and testing processes under specific circumstances.
- Approve use of raw materials in atomization process based on existing and new specifications.
- Create charge calculations according to product specifications.
- Create recipes for existing and new products and modify recipes based on materials used and production
- Analyze chemical results for re-melt, raw materials, and new product.
- Meet individual safety, quality, and production goals.
- Contribute to departmental safety, quality, and production goals.
- Interact with managers, supervisors, co-workers, and customers in a positive-friendly manner.
- Be willing to cross-train in other areas and departments to broaden your capabilities and assist with the overall performance of the company.
- Must read, understand and comply with all Environmental, Safety, and Health and Quality procedures and policies - both - corporate and regulatory, and ensure Oerlikon Five Golden Rules of safety are followed at all times.
- Must implement principles and practices of safe behavior in all activities.
- Implement Oerlikon Mission and Core Values: Integrity, Team Spirit, Excellence, and
- Must have B.S. Materials Science, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, and/or Chemical Engineering or related discipline that has demonstrated equivalency.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, or Green Card Holder.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be fluent in Must be able to work with easy mathematical formulas (mathematical skills required)
- Must be able to read and understand Risk Assessment (RA) and Job Hazards Analysis (JHA).
- Must use safe behavior at all times.
- Must wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when required.
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 15 000 employees at 186 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.85 billion. Sustaining growth and improving profitability in 2018: order intake to increase up to CHF 3.4 billion, sales to around CHF 3.2 billion, and the EBITDA margin to improve to around 15 % (after investments).
Oerlikon Metco enhances surfaces that bring benefits to customers through a uniquely broad range of surface technologies, equipment, materials and services. With a dynamically growing network of locations worldwide Oerlikon Metco serves industries such as aviation, energy, oil & gas, automotive, industrial and other specialized markets. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team! We have a great benefits package including medical insurance, dental and vision, tuition reimbursement, health and wellness benefits, and 401(K).
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon Metco is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon Metco to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon Metco is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.