The Payroll Manager supervises Payroll representatives, ensuring that all processes are executed appropriately and in a timely manner. Operates as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve issues and continuously looks for improvements in operational processes and designs and implements those initiatives. Optimizes the contribution of the team through coaching, counseling and implements workable solutions to business issues/problems with minimum referral to management. Conducts work planning, estimation and prioritization to optimize performance of team and works with Payroll Manager to define standards and reusable approaches for Payroll operations. This individual manages effective internal/external client relationships within own area of responsibility, and builds client relationships in the wider group or unit.
• Interpret day-to-day business objectives and preparation/execution of operational practices/work programs.
• Supervise Payroll staff and prepare work schedules to ensure appropriate coverage.
• Facilitate weekly (as required) team calls/meetings.
• Assist in monitoring workload and evaluate direct reports and may review the evaluations/development plans of others.
• Ensure team members acquire necessary skills and performance attributes, in line with business and personal development needs.
• Provide guidance to and shares knowledge with colleagues/team members relating to own specialization.
• Assist Payroll and create annual team objectives.
• Communication Process - Capture potential issues and manage solutions and resolutions for issues that have been escalated.
• Including: Anything that has impacted more than one US company
• Including: Issues related to areas outside of Payroll Admin area of expertise, 401K, HSA, Benefits related, etc.
• Including: Problems that have not been resolved in time frame promised employee
• Including: Managing the communications regarding issues on a regular basis. For low impact and quick resolutions one communication is sufficient. For larger issues that impact multiple employees and/or entities follow up every 48 hours on status is required.
• All communications must include
• Here is what happened
• Here is who was impacted
• Here is what we are doing to resolve it
• Here is when it will be resolved
• Here is what we are doing to ensure it doesn’t happen again
• Directs work within clear budgetary guidelines.
• Participates in interview process for new hires into Payroll roles.
• Defines standards and reusable approaches within the Payroll operational framework.
• Train team members on new or enhanced operation procedures and policies.
• Identify process improvement initiatives and define standards for new processes.
• Cover for team members in back-up role for vacation and/or high-volume work efforts.
• Approve and release manual off-cycle check payments.
• Implement quality control measures.
• Accountable for ongoing management of effective client service relationship in one area of the business as the main point of contact for senior client representatives.
BA Degree or equivalent
APA Payroll Certification
Competetive salary and benefits package.