Job Title: Materials Technician
Location: San Diego, CA
The materials technician will interface directly with company engineering and management personnel to provide support for current products and R&D efforts. This is a full time, entry level position to develop a diverse skill set across industrial applications with next generation coating materials.
- Prepare metallurgical samples for analysis including cutting, mounting, grinding, sanding, and polishing operations to complete the preparation.
- Operate arc melting, welding, casting, and thermal spray equipment.
- Perform wet lab corrosion experiments.
- Assist in the design and construction of custom laboratory or shop equipment.
- Maintain laboratory and shop equipment.
- Keep detailed records of critical operations.
- Associates degree or formal training in technical skills preferred.
- Experience with welding, thermal spray, casting, and/or laboratory equipment and methods is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with hand tools.
- Ability self-motivate and to work in a results oriented environment.
- Demonstrated work ethic and dedication to continuous improvement.
- Ability to adapt dynamically to changing company needs.
- Demonstrated computer literacy and familiarity with Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Ability to travel 10% of the time, including international travel.
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 11 100 employees at 182 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.6 billion. Sustaining growth and improving profitability in 2018: order intake to increase up to CHF 3.4 billion, sales to around CHF 3.2 billion, and the EBITDA margin to improve to around 15 % (after investments).
Oerlikon Metco enhances surfaces that bring benefits to customers through a uniquely broad range of surface technologies, equipment, materials and services. With a dynamically growing network of locations worldwide Oerlikon Metco serves industries such as aviation, energy, oil & gas, automotive, industrial and other specialized markets. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team! We have a great benefits package including medical insurance, dental and vision, tuition reimbursement, health and wellness benefits, and 401(K).
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon Metco is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon Metco to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon Metco is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.