Position: Head of Operations, Additive Manufacturing
Location: Huntersville, NCResponsibilities
From its early days of invention at MIT, Additive Manufacturing is on the very cusp of re-inventing what we know and understand about manufacturing and the 3D objects we can now create using state of the art technologies. From customer supported design and rapid prototyping through to full scale ramp up and series manufacture, our AM business is on a rapid growth path. Being born just 3 years ago, our new “baby” has rapidly evolved to be a cornerstone in the future global business strategy and already works with some of the worlds most respected organizations in the Aerospace, Automotive, Medical and other industries across Europe and the Americas.
We are currently looking for a Head of Operations to be a part of our success story in the Americas, focused on our location in Huntersville nearby Charlotte. One of your key goals will be to implement state of the art operations followed by continuous operational development. You will be accountable for numerous activities such as on site operational activities, staffing, capacity & asset utilization, shaping local strategy and footprint and continuous improvement activities. AM is an extraordinary business that needs out of the box thinkers and drivers, therefore you will also need to be truly extraordinary! You will have led a similar operations business in either additive manufacturing or another similar, technology led industry. We need a strong leader who can direct the operations team and provide leadership towards the achievement of maximum profitability and growth in line with Oerlikon vision and values.
You will need to be able to demonstrate an affinity & passion for what our business does and how we do it well. You are not new at this; you are seasoned, with several years’ experience behind you. You will be expected to hit the road with well-worn shoes with a few good years left in them. You need to be happy in a very fast paced and high-pressure environment with some ambiguity, change and volatility. You will probably get regularly pulled in different directions, but you will have room to learn, grow, play with new ideas and travel across the region! You will report to the General Manager of the site who in turn is your access to the top of the company tree. You will have a lot of eager and hardworking people working for you that will allow you to tap into the expertise and passion of other colleagues in the diversified, multicultural & experienced team. If you like what you’ve read so far and are ready for the next step in your career, we look forward to your application!We expect
- You to develop and “maintain” operations strategy for the Additive Manufacturing
- For you to structure, plan and prioritize project execution based upon intended results/impact, ease of execution and availability of local resources
- Best practice sharing within operational units of AM located in US, Europe and China
- A focus on assuring best in class manufacturing processes and industry leading manufacturing cost structures.
- For you to monitor, measure and report operations KPI’s in regards of the results and sustainability and report on continuous improvement efforts regularly to the executive team and the organization
- Responsibility for all operations activities on site, compliance, contacts to local authorities, development of the site along the business and operations strategy.
- Ownership of local operational excellence roadmap and drive continuous improvement projects
- Responsibility for continuous improvement of the service provided to the customer in Americas through executing initiatives such as 5S, lean management, KPIs system, reporting, monitoring.
- Leadership of and staffing of the operations team
- Responsibility for the performance and development of the operations team and individuals
- For you to adhere to all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes and ensures that they are communicated and implemented within the team
Must haves, do not apply if you cannot demonstrate:
- 10-15 years of manufacturing experience in a service bureau, OEM facility or Tier 1 Supplier
- 5+ years of leadership experience with strategic, analytical and conceptual strengths
- University degree in Material Science or Engineering
- Strong knowledge of traditional and advanced manufacturing processes and/or advanced structural metals processing
- Comfortable in a start-up environment
- Experience in managing a production line in components engineering & manufacturing, providing application engineering services required
- Experience with Project Management processes or project management
- Experience managing compliance and regulations topics
- Very strong negotiation and communication skills, integrator with the ability to engage others
Nice to haves, that will help you in your application:
- Experience in additive/advanced manufacturing production services and prototyping considered a strong plus; or
- Experience with components engineering & manufacturing, application engineering service provider
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, hire and maintain top performing staff (Engage and Motivate)
- Strategic mind set and conceptual disposition
- Flexible to travel internationally as business requires
- Education in business administration / lean manufacturing
- International and cross-cultural business environment experience
- Experience in compliance, HSE and other related topics
- Experience with high tech and innovative companies
- English, Spanish or other languages useful but is not critical
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 15 000 employees at 186 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.85 billion. Sustaining growth and improving profitability in 2018: order intake to increase up to CHF 3.4 billion, sales to around CHF 3.2 billion, and the EBITDA margin to improve to around 15 % (after investments).
Oerlikon AM is spearheading the revolution that is Additive Manufacturing. We have gathered together a dynamic team with deep industrial knowledge, backed with state of the art facilities worldwide, built specifically for AM. We can provide AM solutions in metal alloys, ceramics and plastic materials. We can support our own AM printing capability with our own metal powder production, research and development, component design, application engineering and finishing. We are pioneering AM for all scales of manufacture from 1 part to series production runs lasting decades, and across all industries.. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team!
We have a great benefits package including medical insurance, dental and vision, tuition reimbursement, health and wellness benefits, retirement security contribution and 401(K). If you want to operate in a business environment that gives you the freedom to imagine what is possible - please send us your application!
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon AM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon AM to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon AM is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.