Position: General Manager, Additive Manufacturing Services - Americas
Location: Huntersville, NC
From its early days of invention at MIT, Additive Manufacturing is on the very cusp of re-inventing what we know and understand about manufacturing and the 3D objects we can now create using state of the art technologies. From customer supported design and rapid prototyping through to full scale ramp up and series manufacture, our AM business is on a rapid growth path. Being born just 3 years ago, our new “baby” has rapidly evolved to be a cornerstone in the future global business strategy and already works with some of the worlds most respected organizations in the Aerospace, Medical and other industries across Europe and the Americas. Continued expansion and structural adaptation means we are looking for a new General Manager to be a part of the success story in the Americas, focused on our locations in Huntersville nearby Charlotte In this role you will not only be a General Manager by name; but also very much by nature.
In short the whole Americas AM business beside Medical sits on your shoulders – so they need to be broad. This means your are accountable for numerous activities such as customer relations, on site operational activities, staffing, capacity & asset utilization, shaping local strategy and footprint, continuous improvement activities and of course the P&L amongst many other things.
Who you are and what to expect
AM is an extraordinary business that needs out of the box thinkers and drivers. Therefore you will also need to be truly extraordinary, perhaps even a wizard. You need to be more than just another GM in another business. You will have led a reasonable sized business in either additive manufacturing or other similar technology led industry; you have perhaps led & inspired sales, operations and manufacturing teams; Run (successfully) a P&L; Devised strategies, or have been challenged by operational tasks that encouraged your teams to achieve what sometimes felt was impossible. You will need to be able to demonstrate an affinity & passion for what our business does and how we do it well. You are not new at this; you are seasoned, with several years’ experience behind you. You will be expected to hit the road with well-worn shoes with a few good years left in them. You need to be happy in a very fast paced and high pressured environment with some ambiguity, change and volatility. If you prefer the armchair and a relaxed life do not apply. And we will test for this. You will probably get regularly pulled in different directions; you may not always have time to do the things you want but you will have room to learn, grow, play with new ideas and travel across the region. You will report to the Global Business Head based in Germany, who in turn is your access to the top of company tree. You will have a lot of eager and hardworking teams working for you that will allow you to tap into the expertise and passion of other colleagues in the diversified, multicultural & experienced team.
If you like what you are reading so far, check out the details!
- Accountability for customer relations, steering, building, maintaining customer business and accounts to support the business growth
- Responsibility for all operations activities on site, compliance, contacts to local authorities, development of the site along the business and operations strategy.
- Drive and control responsible assess utilization, asset development and footprint adjustments in line with the AM strategy
- Shape and develop the Oerlikon AM service business strategy
- Define local AM Oerlikon service offering and commercial value proposition in Americas including geographies served, key industries, customer segments and production services offered. Responsible for the top and bottom line of the American service business
- Responsibility for the performance and development of the regional team
- Supports building of factory networks, and thereby, paving the way for future production methods and advanced manufacturing technologies globally.
- Responsibility for continuous improvement of the service provided to the customer in Americas through executing initiatives such as 5S, lean management, KPIs system, reporting, monitoring.
- You to play a critical role in the assessment of potential M&A targets to support the local AM business
- Engage in the M&A process to support the AM team in terms of assessment of the asset base of the target, operational due diligence as well as the integration process from the operational perspective to ensure the new acquired plant(s) cope with AM standards in terms of equipment/workflow/management systems as well as HSE.
Must haves, do not apply if you cannot demonstrate:
- Demonstrated experience in building customer relations and sustainable networks with decision makers within aerospace/defence companies.
- Track record in managing and engineering production sites in an international company (preferred AM, engineered components, thermal spray or heat treatment, tooling industry or automotive/automotive supplier industry) – production technology background.
- Able to handle the rapid pace of a startup culture; Self-driven, open and positive mind set with experience in international and cross-cultural business environment, entrepreneurial mind set
- Proven leadership track record
- Experience with project management processes, acted as project manager for major projects
- Strategic planning record and experience
- Desire and readiness to travel 30-40% of your time and sometimes at ugly hours
- Big shoulders to handle lots of pressure
Nice to haves, that will help you in your application:
- Experience in additive/advanced manufacturing production services considered a strong plus; components engineering & manufacturing, application engineering service provider (knowing production process)
- Experience in compliance, HSE and other related topics
- University degree in manufacturing technology (operations) combined with further education in business administration / Engineering
- Experience with high tech and innovative companies
- English, Spanish or other languages useful but is not critical
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 15 000 employees at 186 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.85 billion. Sustaining growth and improving profitability in 2018: order intake to increase up to CHF 3.4 billion, sales to around CHF 3.2 billion, and the EBITDA margin to improve to around 15 % (after investments).
Oerlikon AM is spearheading the revolution that is Additive Manufacturing. We have gathered together a dynamic team with deep industrial knowledge, backed with state of the art facilities worldwide, built specifically for AM. We can provide AM solutions in metal alloys, ceramics and plastic materials. We can support our own AM printing capability with our own metal powder production, research and development, component design, application engineering and finishing. We are pioneering AM for all scales of manufacture from 1 part to series production runs lasting decades, and across all industries.. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team!
We have a great benefits package including medical insurance, dental and vision, tuition reimbursement, health and wellness benefits, retirement security contribution and 401(K). If you want to operate in a business environment that gives you the freedom to imagine what is possible - please send us your application!
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon AM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon AM to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon AM is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.