Director of Operations
The Director of Materials Operation is a member of the Global Materials Operations team who is responsible for providing strategic management and leadership for operational functions, including Manufacturing, Engineering, Supply Chain and material control, Quality, production, EH&S and growth projects in order to achieve positive business results. In addition the director of operations will lead the efforts on profitable new business, productivity, and cost saving initiatives, annual budget planning and execution. This position is directly responsible for the implementation and execution of a strategic deployment plan for operations and partnering with other functional leaders to ensure on-time delivery performance, quality, and overall customer satisfaction.
• Partner with Human Resources, Engineering, Finance, Supply Chain, Operational Excellence and Quality to create and maintain a culture of employee relations and practices that promote a safe and environmentally conscious work place. Participate in the generation of policies which focus on enhancing and improving employee engagement, working conditions and overall wellbeing.
• Collaborate with the EHS Manager to develop and implement policies, practices, and oversight to ensure a safe, effective work environment, in compliance with Federal, State and Local regulatory requirements, such as EEOC, OSHA, EPA, etc.
• Lead, provide direction to, and development of direct reports in order to maximize business results, establish succession candidates, and provide career opportunities for employees.
• Support business unit team activity by leveraging operational excellence tools. Develop and promote effective cross-functional relationships internally to drive root cause problem-solving, responsive communication behavior, 5S program and continuous improvement initiatives.
• Lead development and implementation of processes to ensure effective utilization, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness in manufacturing to maximize capacity and manage overtime for cost and employee relations, while ensuring on-time delivery to customers.
• Through close collaboration with Business Line Supply chain and corporate procurement group, develops and maintains a continual global supplier/purchasing base to provide materials and/or finished product which best satisfies global objectives of safety, quality, customer service, and cost. Provide strategic partnership and leadership for the global demand planning function to ensure revenue linearity, production plans and internal compliance to support achievement of company profit, on-time delivery, quality, and other goals are achieved.
• Oversee the establishment of staffing requirements and ensure adequate staffing to support business needs while meeting plan.
• Lead the development and administration of any manufacturing-related policies and practices.
• Participate in the development of annual budgets and budget controls for departments, processes, equipment and facilities, including budgets for staffing and capital expenditures.
• Provide leadership for process engineering and maintenance with focus on safety, lean manufacturing, quality, and productivity, and continuous improvement projects and activities.
• Partner with Quality department personnel to ensure all quality management systems are followed and in compliance with all standards and regulations. Drive improvement strategy with emphasis on improving material and process quality in order to reduce/eliminate material over-runs, re-works, rejects, and scrap.
• Establish, maintain, and continuously improve systems to schedule and monitor all production orders and provide timely and accurate information to support customer satisfaction. Leverage our ERP system and/or other information technology to minimize manual tasks to track and update related information.
• Coordinate and ensure effective execution of any projects associated with areas of responsibility.
• Complete all required reports within established time, developing and participating in scheduled business update presentations.
• Manage the annual performance review and merit increase process, and ensure timely and meaningful completion of reviews for direct and indirect reports.
Bachelor degree in engineering or a related field is required. MBA or masters in Operations or Engineering preferred. Six Sigma, Green Belt or Black Belt certification a plus.
The successful candidate will be a proven general manager with approximately 8-10 years of progressive business experience and a successful track record in managing a global industrial P&L. Powder Atomization manufacturing experience is preferred.
Exceptional interpersonal skills to develop and maintain multi-level relationships, lead, and work effectively with teams, and function on an independent basis.
A business mindset that is both strategic and tactical. This individual will have the capability to contribute to strategic discussions, while also rolling-up his/her sleeves to work though necessary initiatives and tactics.