Position: Director of Operations
Location: Shelton, CT
Own a dog? Have a family member who struggles to get around? The capabilities of modern Additive Manufacturing (3 D printing) of metals in Orthopedics today are ground breaking in helping your favorite pooch or loved ones continue to have mobility that just a few years ago was not possible. And we need your expertise to help us keep the wheels turning and ensure that even more can benefit from these ground breaking advancements.
From its early days of invention at MIT, Additive Manufacturing is on the very cusp of re-inventing what we know and understand about manufacturing and the 3D objects we can now create using state of the art technologies. From customer supported design and rapid prototyping through to full scale ramp up and series manufacture, our AM business is on a rapid growth path. Being born just 3 years ago, our new “baby” has rapidly evolved to be a cornerstone in the future global business strategy and already works with some of the worlds most respected organizations in the Aerospace, Automotive, Medical and other industries across Europe and the Americas.
We are currently looking for a Director of Operations to be a part of our success story in Shelton. Despite the name of the business you do not need to be a medical doctor – but we do need you to be a “Doctor of Manufacturing Operations” who will keep our baby in a healthy shape!
You will be accountable for numerous activities such as on site operational activities, staffing, capacity & asset utilization, process and long range planning, production quality and conformity to regulations and other cool manufacturing orientated tasks.
AM is an extraordinary business that needs out of the box thinkers and drivers, therefore you will also need to be truly extraordinary! You will have led a similar operations business in either additive manufacturing or another similar, technology led or Orthopedics product business. We need a strong leader who can direct the operations team and provide leadership towards the achievement of maximum profitability and growth in line with Oerlikon vision and values.
You will need to be able to demonstrate an affinity & passion for what our business does and how we do it well. You are not new at this; you are seasoned, with several years’ experience behind you. You will be expected to hit the road with well-worn shoes with a few good years left in them.
You need to be happy in a very fast paced and high-pressure environment with some ambiguity, change and volatility. You will probably get regularly pulled in different directions, but you will have room to learn, grow, play with new ideas and travel across the region! You will report to the General Manager of the site who in turn is your access to the top of the company tree. You will have a lot of eager and hardworking people working for you that will allow you to tap into the expertise and passion of other colleagues in the diversified, multicultural & experienced team.
If you like what you are reading so far, check out the details and make a decision.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities
Operations Strategy and Standards
- Develop and “maintain” operations strategy for the Additive Manufacturing
- Structure, plan and prioritize project execution based upon intended results/impact, ease of execution and availability of local resources
- Best practice sharing within operational units of AM located in US, Europe and China.
- Focus on assuring best in class manufacturing processes and industry leading manufacturing cost structures.
- Monitor, measure and report operations KPI’s in regards of the results and sustainability and report on continuous improvement efforts regularly to the executive team and the organization.
- Responsible for all operations activities on site, compliance, contacts to local authorities, development of the site along the business and operations strategy.
- Own local operational excellence roadmap and drive continuous improvement projects
- Identifies, recommends and implements changes to improve productivity and reduce cost and scrap, monitor scrap and rework data. Directs the establishment, implementation and maintenance of production standards. Works with Engineering Department to execute improvements
- Lead and staff of the operations team
- Responsible for the hiring, training, performance and development of the operations team and individuals
- Adheres to all company policies, procedures and business ethics codes and ensures that they are communicated and implemented within the team
- Local Operations
- External resources (consultants, advisors, providers)
- Reporting to the General Manager of the site in Shelton
Knowledge & Skills Summary:
Must haves (do not apply if you cannot demonstrate):
- 10-15 years of manufacturing experience in a service bureau, OEM facility or Tier 1/2 Supplier or medical manufacturing systems OEM
- 10+ years of leadership experience with strategic, analytical and conceptual strengths
- University degree in Material Science or Engineering or strong demonstrable knowledge or Orthopneic manufacturing
- Strong knowledge of traditional and advanced manufacturing processes and/or advanced structural metals processing
- Comfortable in a start-up environment
- Experience in managing a production line in components engineering & manufacturing, providing application engineering services required
- Experience with Project Management processes or project management
- Experience managing compliance and regulations topics
- Very strong negotiation and communication skills, integrator with the ability to engage others
Nice to haves, that will help you in your application:
Experience in additive/advanced manufacturing production services and prototyping considered a strong plus; or Experience with components engineering & manufacturing, application engineering service provider
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, hire and maintain top performing staff (Engage and Motivate)
- Strategic mind set and conceptual disposition
Flexible to travel as business requires