Position: Atomization Furnace Operator
Location: Plymouth, MI
The Furnace Operator safely prepares, melts, and atomizes metal powder following job instructions. This will include loading the furnace with raw materials, purging down with inert gas, power-up, taking temperatures, inspecting, and pouring the molten metal from a hydraulically positioned induction furnace. Support activities associated with position include preparation and maintenance of the refractory furnace lining, maintenance of accurate production records, delivery of atomized product to the screening area, and cleaning the furnace and atomization system between alloys.
- Meets or exceeds all safety, environmental, and health goals for department.
- Meets or exceeds quality goals for production orders.
- Meets or exceeds productivity targets. Notifies lead or supervisor about any problems.
- Contributes to continual improvement activities.
- Operation and monitoring of induction melting equipment used for the gas atomization of nickel and cobalt based alloys. This will include loading the furnace, purging the system with inert gas, power-up, and pouring the molten metal from a hydraulically positioned induction furnace. Responsible for preparation and maintenance of refractory furnace lining. It is important that the furnace operator maintain a constant awareness of the condition of the refractory lining.
- The furnace operator cleans the furnace and atomization tank between alloys. The operator performs routine maintenance and support activities (e.g. replacement of power leads, disassembly of atomization tank, installation of gas delivery system). The furnace operator is responsible for the cleanliness of his / her work area.
- The furnace operator utilizes process parameters specified in the job traveler. Accurate records are maintained of heats poured noting characteristics such as start and stop time, gas pressures, temperatures, and melt characteristics.
- The furnace operator is responsible for the identification of in-process atomized material, transfer of atomized product to the screening area, and submission of samples to the QC laboratory per instructions on the job traveler.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High School diploma or vocational technical training.
- Basic math skills and organization ability.
- Basic mechanical knowledge.
- Ability to perform physical tasks, i.e. lifting, bending.
- Ability to safely operate cranes and powered industrial vehicles.