R&D Powder Lab Technologist
Oerlikon Metco | Westbury, NY
R&D Technologist is responsible for day to day safe operation of various equipments In the lab Including and not limited to spray dryer, plasma torch, high energy mill,high temperature furnaces, screening,etc. Periodic maintenance of the equipments, and other lab accessories; maintain clean lab environments all the time. Should be able to multi-task and have basic skills on computer usage. Familiarity with ASM powder standards for powder characterization is a plus.
- Support the project goals and objectives of the R&D Project Engineers by performing Engineering Technician duties and gives input based on practical background and experience
- Support Engineers in the creation of test plans for the development of powders and/or to test or optimize lab equipments.
- Manufacture materials based on requirements e.g. received as test plan or specifications.
- Operate Hands-on Lab Equipment for materials-manufacturing.
- Carry out analytical tests of powder characterization (e.g. Microtrac; Hall Flow; sieve analysis)
- Carry out preventive maintenance on lab equipment and is involved in organizing or carrying out repairs or maintenance activities
- Documents all results and Processes & process steps.
- Organizes or supports creation of shipping or analytical documentation for processing I shipping of experimental powder
- Contributes actively to process improvements
- Engage the EHS Department and Facilities on all process improvements, equipment and machinery procurement as well as facility changes within his I her area(s) of responsibility prior to initiation of projects.
- Responsible for following EHS and SS standards in his/her work area and helps to develop or improve safety procedures from technical, hands-on standpoint (gives regular near-miss input to assure safest possible work environment).
- Use all prescribed personal protection equipment (PPE) where deemed necessary; Follow established environmental, health and safety policies, procedures and work instructions associated with assigned duties and work location.
- Inventory control of development powders.
- Supports if needed Hands-on the scale-up of new powders in Production.
- Responsible for maintaining equipment, machinery, tooling and work area in a safe and orderly manner at all times.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Minimum of High School Diploma. Associate Degree is a plus.
- Some in depth education in one of the following areas is a Plus: Metallurgy; Material engineering; Powder manufacturing.
- Able to work in a clean and organized manner, responsible for maintaining equipment, machinery, tooling and work area should be in a safe and orderly manner at all times.
- Fluent in English.
- Able to work with easy mathematical formulas (mathematical skills required) Able to fill out forms and record processing data and results.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret material specifications, laboratory equipment manuals and Design of Experiments.
- Strong Mechanical ability - be able to work safely with tools, equipment and other machinery, recognize when malfunctions or unsafe conditions occur.
- Able to multi-task.
- Able to follow written and oral instructions.
- Able to work extended hours or night shifts when necessary.
This position requires moderate physical fitness. The incumbent must be able to manually lift up to fifty (50)-lbs. maximum and be able to stand for up to eight hours and to wear a respirator up to 8 hours.
- Standing - 60%
- Bending/stooping - 5% or less
- Sitting - 10 - 20%
- Squatting - 2%
- Kneeling - 2%
- Climbing - 2%
- Crawling - 0%
- Reach above shoulder height - 5%
- Pushing/Pulling - 5%
- Lifting/Lowering - 10%
Manual Lifting Tasks
- 05 - 1O pounds - 20%
- 10 - 20 pounds - 20%
- 20 - 30 pounds - 20%
- 30 - 40 pounds - 20%
- 40 - 50 pounds - 0%
- 50 - 60 pounds - 0%
- 60 - 70 pounds - 0%
- 70 - 80 pounds - 0%
- 80 - 90 pounds - 0%
- 90 - 100 pounds - 0%
We have a great Benefits package including tuition reimbursement and 401(K). If you want to operate in a business environment that gives you the freedom to imagine what is possible - then you should send us your application.
- Advertised Since
P: +1 516 338 2184
Oerlikon Metco (US) Inc.
1101 Prospect Ave
11590-0201 Westbury, NY
Import as VCF
With your application you agree that your personal data for the purpose of personnel planning and the development of your career will be used by a third party employed by the OC Oerlikon Corporation. In line with the usage of these data access is granted for a third party outside the area of validity of the EG directive. We will take care that your rights according to EG guidelines will be granted within such a further use. Hereby we inform you that you have the right/request of information about the further use as well as about content and structuring of your personal data. You can recall your agreement at any time.