R&D Project and Process Engineer (Titanium)
Surface Solutions Segment | Plymouth, MI
POSITION: R&D Titanium Project and Process Engineer
LOCATION: Plymouth, MI, USA
The Project and Process Engineer for the Materials R&D, will have his/her initial focus on titanium/aluminum powder manufacturing, and uses good engineering practices to improve product production processes with regards to safety, health, environmental, quality, and productivity, while minimizing wastes and costs.
He/she will evaluate, develop, and implement titanium powder manufacturing and processing routes.
He/she is responsible for creating and communicating a deep understanding of the correlation between process parameters and processing hardware for Titanium metal alloy powder manufacturing technologies, such as induction plasma spheriodization and electrode induction melting with gas atomization. This requires dealing with pre and post treatment of such powders.
He/she typically serves as a member of the facility leadership team and possesses a thorough understanding of standards, concepts, practices, and procedures for metal powder production operations.
The process engineer is responsible to initiate and lead design of experiments (DoE), explore new powder manufacturing routes and technologies, establish process procedures and work instructions, write process specifications, and handle special safety or lean related Titanium projects. Future projects may entail similar work with aluminum or other Ti alloy formulations.
He/she supports the R&D laboratory supervisor, product portfolio manager (PPM), and product change manager (PCM) in various engineering and administrative aspects from maintaining process documentation, carrying out audits but also preparing quotations for experimental powders to customers.
Another task for the process engineer is the support of the Manufacturing Process & Product engineering group during scale-up of new products and operations product trouble shooting.
R&D Titanium Project and Process Engineer is responsible, but not limited to the following:
- Perform the duties identified for this job description to the best of your abilities at all times, taking sole responsibility for your actions and the results thereof.
- Ensure Environmental, Safety and Health, quality, inventory, and productivity goals are met.
- Capable of improving and enhancing the correlation between process parameters & powder characteristics by expanding process knowledge base for spherical Titanium alloy powders by various manufacturing techniques.
- Enhance the Titanium powder yield by way of re-designing spheriodization equipment, atomization nozzle, melt furnace (Cold-wall), tundish and other aspects. Explore ways of improving production/operations powder manufacturing process in order to reduce production cost and increase manufacturing efficiency in spherical powder production.
- Explore new Ti and Ti alloy powder manufacturing technologies, keep abreast of cutting edge powder manufacturing technologies and equipment/
- Transfer technology from pilot equipment to manufacturing. Support manufacturing process engineers during the scale-up of new products
- Actively participate and assist in production equipment trouble shooting.
- Generate, maintain and update equipment manuals and processing procedures.
- Generate engineering reports, status reviews and presentations.
- Provide assistance for CAPEX, lean projects and safety projects as well as customer quotation requests.
- Design and direct the testing or control of processing procedures. Gather process data. Analyze process capabilities and efficiencies.
- Review, evaluate, and/or recommend materials, instruments, and equipment.
- Read, write, and/or review standard operating procedures, standard capital projects, purchase requisitions and purchase orders.
- Analyze root causes, non-conformances, and/or complaints. Implement corrective and preventive actions to eliminate to recurrence using quality and engineering toolboxes.
- Support site initiatives to reduce inventory, costs and or lead time.
- Maintain liaison with vendors and improvement activities.
- Provide technical training to process operators and lead persons where applicable.
- Monitor material performance and evaluate material deterioration. Analyze failure data and laboratory test results to determine causes of problems and to develop solutions.
- Conduct or supervise tests on raw materials or finished products to ensure their quality.
- Plan and implement laboratory operations for the purpose of developing material and fabrication procedures that meet cost, product specification, and performance standards.
- Plan and evaluate new projects, consulting with other engineers and corporate executives, as necessary.
- Guide technical staff engaged in developing materials for specific uses in projected products or devices.
- Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to process or product design objectives.
- Supervise production and testing processes under specific circumstances.
- Approve use of raw materials in atomization process based on existing and new specifications.
- Create charge calculations according to product specifications.
- Create recipes for existing and new products and modify recipes based on materials used and production processes.
- Analyze chemical results for remelt, raw materials, and new products.
- Meet individual safety, quality, and production goals.
- Contribute to departmental safety, quality, and production goals.
- Interact with managers, supervisors, co-workers, and customers in a positive-friendly manner.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must read, understand, and comply with all Environmental, Safety, and Health, and Quality procedures and policies – both - corporate and regulatory, and ensure Oerlikon Five Golden Rules of safety are followed at all times.
- Must implement principles and practices of safe behavior in all activities.
- Implement Oerlikon Mission and Core Values: Integrity, Team Spirit, Excellence, and Innovation.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must have B.S. Materials Science, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, and/or Chemical Engineering or related discipline that has demonstrated equivalency.
- Preferably this person will have a master’s degree in materials science and engineering.
- At least 5 years of experience in Pure Ti and Ti alloy powder manufacturing
- Must pass a physical exam and drug screening.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be fluent in English.
- Must be able to work with complicated mathematical formulas.
- Must be able to read and understand Risk Assessment (RA) and Job Hazards Analysis (JHA).
- Must wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when required.
- Must be able to read and understand standard operating procedures, material specifications, and instruction manuals.
- Must not operate or energize equipment, for which you have not been properly trained.
- Must have knowledge of ISO and AS quality requirements for work activities.
- Must keep working areas neat, tidy and organized at all times.
- Must actively participate in continual improvement activities.
- Must be able to work well within a team.
- Must have proficient computer skills using Windows, SAP, Internet Explorer, Office, and charge calculation software (Infor, Abs, etc.).
- Must have a thorough understanding of theories and practices related to melting, atomization, screening, classifying, measuring, and data monitoring technologies.
- Opportunity to volunteer as a First responder (First aid, CPR, AED training required)
- Be able to provide positive mentoring, coaching and training.
- Strong ability for problem solving and trouble shooting
- Strong analytical skill and design of experiments (DoE)
- Creative and innovative
- Hands on experiences with powder manufacturing (inert gas/vacuum atomization) and materials processing.
- Advertised Since
Import as VCF
With your application you agree that your personal data for the purpose of personnel planning and the development of your career will be used by a third party employed by the OC Oerlikon Corporation. In line with the usage of these data access is granted for a third party outside the area of validity of the EG directive. We will take care that your rights according to EG guidelines will be granted within such a further use. Hereby we inform you that you have the right/request of information about the further use as well as about content and structuring of your personal data. You can recall your agreement at any time.