Surface Solutions Segment | Charlotte
Quality Assurance (QA) Technician
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in surface solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 13,500 employees at more than 170 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.7 billion in 2015. The company invested CHF 103 million in R&D in 2015 and has over 1350 specialists developing innovative and customer-oriented products and services.
The Surface Solutions Segment of the Oerlikon Group includes the two brands Oerlikon Balzers and Oerlikon Metco. Oerlikon Balzers is one of the world’s leading suppliers of surface technologies that significantly improve the performance and durability of precision components as well as tools for the metal and plastics processing industries. Oerlikon Metco enhances surfaces with coating solutions and equipment. The Surface Solutions Segment operates a dynamically growing network of currently more than 145 facilities with over 140 coating centers in 36 countries.
Oerlikon Metco enhances surfaces that bring benefits to customers through a uniquely broad range of surface technologies, equipment, materials and services. With a dynamically growing network of over 30 locations worldwide Oerlikon Metco serves industries such as aviation, power generation, automotive, oil & gas, industrial and other specialized markets. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team!
(Duties & Responsibilities): The primary duties consist of, but are not limited to the following:
- Testing and operation of laboratory equipment to include:
- Characterize properties of metal powders to ASTM standards, including: Flow Rate, Particle shape, Particle Size Analysis - Laser Diffraction Methods, Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS), Apparent Density, and Particle Size by Dry Sieving.
- Preparation and evaluation of powders and bulk specimens, including: sectioning, mounting, grinding and polishing, chemical etching. Metallurgical analysis, micro hardness testing, microstructure analysis by optical microscope, basic SEM and chemistry/phase analysis, and mechanical testing.
- Generate consistent high quality metallurgical data (micrographs, defect count, phase identification, hardness data, phase analysis using energy dispersive spectroscopy, mechanical test results).
- Enter data / maintain Met Lab database.
- Report evaluation results, measurement data and recommendations in technical presentations/reports and graphical formats.
- Performs incoming AQL inspection on raw materials/finished goods/components according to written standard operating procedures, work instructions and specifications in receiving.
- Responsible for pulling and testing powder samples to approve for production use.
- Approves and releases incoming raw materials/finished goods and components.
- Performs lot/batch record review and approval as outlined to product specifications.
- Performs, monitors and documents in-process checks, and quality related audits.
- Responsible for pulling in-process and finished good samples to verify quality characteristics and conformance to product specifications.
- Responsible for label control
- Reports any deviations, product, or in-process issues to Quality management.
- Priorities to manage workflow through the metallurgical and material characterization laboratory.
- Establish and perform calibrations and preventative maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Develop procedures, work instructions and other quality documents for the Met Lab and testing functions.
- Support Quality documentation, customer and supplier data packages such as PPAP packages, First Article Inspection Reports, Acceptance Data Packages, data entry, inspection reports and other relevant documents.
- Support new program launches and projects as required.
- Order laboratory consumables and manage inventory
- Support QMS Internal Audits and Quality Programs.
- Complies with and enforces QMS/AS9100, customer, and regulatory requirements. Support lab to NADCAP compliance.
- Technical skills
- Operation of powder testing equipment
- Operation of the following metallurgical preparation equipment: sectioning, grinding, polishing, chemical and electrolytic etching to prepare samples of titanium, nickel, and stainless steel alloys for optical and electron microscopy.
- Operation of the following material characterization equipment: light optical microscope, scanning electron microscope, energy dispersive spectroscopy, electron backscatter diffraction, micro hardness, room and elevated temperature tensile testing.
- Basic maintenance of equipment in the metallurgical laboratory.
- Knowledge of basic inspection methods and use of measuring equipment (gages, mics, callipers, etc.).
- Ensure workflow through metallurgical laboratory is performed in a timely manner with high quality.
- Must be highly motivated, hardworking, structured and disciplined to achieve deadlines
Interfaces / Collaboration
- Work closely with the Metallurgy Technology Vertical
- AM Quality, Production, Engineering and R&D Teams in Charlotte
- Metallurgical laboratory Team in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- External resources (Equipment Partners, Suppliers, Test Labs.
Summary: Laboratory and Testing Technician.
Education / Experience:
- Associates of Science Degree or higher in Chemical, Materials or similar technical/engineering discipline, with at least 2 years of experience in powder and component testing; or, High School Diploma with at least 5 years of relative experience.
- Relative technical experience: At least 2 years of experience operating a wide variety of material test and characterization equipment, including partial size analysis, scanning electron microscope, energy dispersive spectroscopy, and electron backscatter diffraction, and room and elevated temperature tensile testing.
- Experience working within a quality system such as AS9100, TS16949 or 13485 is required.
- Experience in maintaining NADCAP certified laboratory is preferred.
Knowledge / Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to describe and report basic microstructures and tensile test results.
- Knowledge of metallurgical and laboratory processes working to ASTM standards.
- Ability to operate and maintain laboratory equipment relative to metal powders validation and metal component testing.
- Capable of following existing standards, and developing procedures to maintain quality and consistency of work product.
- Attention to detail and maintains a clean, organized (5S), and safe laboratory environment.
- Team player with excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Competitive Base Salary + Comission
- Opportunity that offers both international and domestic travel
- Start up enviroment geared towards entrepenurial outlook/views
- Fanastic health, dental, vision and 401k benefits
- The opportunity to bring a new technology to production and impact the manufacturing sector in a positive way that has not been done before
- Advertised Since
Import as VCF
With your application you agree that your personal data for the purpose of personnel planning and the development of your career will be used by a third party employed by the OC Oerlikon Corporation. In line with the usage of these data access is granted for a third party outside the area of validity of the EG directive. We will take care that your rights according to EG guidelines will be granted within such a further use. Hereby we inform you that you have the right/request of information about the further use as well as about content and structuring of your personal data. You can recall your agreement at any time.