Position: R&D Process Engineer- Titanium
Location: Plymouth, MI
The Project and Process Engineer for the Materials R&D-Plymouth, will have his/her initial focus on Metal & Alloys and Titanium powder manufacturing, and uses good engineering practices to improve production processes with regards to safety, health, environmental, quality, and productivity, while minimizing wastes and costs. He/she will evaluate, develop, and implement Metallic alloy powders, Titanium alloy powders manufacturing and processing routes. He/she is responsible for creating and communicating a deep understanding of the correlation between process parameters and processing hardware for alloy powder manufacturing technologies, such as spheroidization, rotating electrode method, blocky/angular powder, gas atomization etc. This requires dealing with pre and post treatment of such powders. He/she typically serves as a member of the facility leadership team and possesses a thorough understanding of standards, concepts, practices, and procedures for metal powder production operations. The process engineer is responsible to initiate and lead design of experiments (DoE), explore new powder manufacturing routes and technologies, establish process procedures and work instructions, write process specifications, and handle special safety or lean related Titanium projects. Future projects may entail similar work with aluminum, Zirconium or other Ti alloy formulations. He/she supports the R&D laboratory supervisor, product portfolio manager (PPM), and product change manager (PCM) in various engineering and administrative aspects from maintaining process documentation, carrying out audits but also preparing quotations for experimental powders to customers. Another task for the process engineer is the support of the Manufacturing Process & Product engineering group during scale-up of new products and assist with trouble shooting of initial manufacturing processes.
- Perform the duties identified for this job description to the best of your abilities at all times, taking sole responsibility for your actions and the results thereof.
- Ensure Environmental, Safety and Health, quality, inventory, and productivity goals are met.
- Capable of improving and enhancing the correlation between process parameters & powder characteristics by expanding process knowledge base for spherical Titanium alloy powders by various manufacturing techniques.
- Enhance the Metal Alloy powder yield by way of re-designing powder manufacturing equipment, and other pertinent aspects of reactive element powder production. Explore ways of improving production/operations powder manufacturing process in order to reduce production cost and increase manufacturing efficiency in spherical powder production.
- Explore new CP-Ti and Ti64 alloy powder manufacturing technologies, keep abreast of cutting edge powder manufacturing technologies and equipment.
- Transfer / scale up technology from pilot equipment to manufacturing. Support manufacturing process engineers during the scale-up of new products. Actively participate and assist in production equipment trouble shooting.
- Generate, maintain and update equipment manuals and processing procedures.
- Generate engineering reports, status reviews and presentations.
- Provide assistance for CAPEX, lean projects and safety projects as well as customer quotation requests.
- Design and direct the testing or control of processing procedures. Gather process data. Analyze process capabilities and efficiencies.
- Review, evaluate, and/or recommend materials, instruments, and equipment.
- Read, write, and/or review standard operating procedures, standard capital projects, purchase requisitions and purchase orders.
- Assist with root-cause analysis for non-conformances, and/or complaints. Implement corrective and preventive actions to eliminate to recurrence using quality and engineering toolboxes.
- Support site initiatives to reduce inventory, costs and/or lead time.
- Provide technical training to process operators and lead persons where applicable.
- Monitor material performance and evaluate material deterioration. Analyze failure data and laboratory test results to determine causes of problems and to develop solutions.
- Conduct or supervise tests on raw materials or finished products to ensure their quality.
- Plan and evaluate new R&D projects, consulting with other engineers and corporate executives, as necessary.
- Get involved with technical staff in developing materials for specific uses in projected products or devices.
- Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to process or product design objectives.
- Approve use of raw materials in atomization process based on existing and new specifications.
- Create charge calculations according to product specifications. Assist with modification to current atomization recipes for existing and new products, based on materials used and production processes.
- Meet individual safety, quality, and production goals.
- Contribute to departmental safety, quality, and production goals.
- Interact with managers, supervisors, co-workers, and customers in a positive-friendly manner.
- Must read, understand, and comply with all Environmental, Safety, and Health, and Quality procedures and policies – both - corporate and regulatory, and ensure Oerlikon Five Golden Rules of safety are followed at all times.
- Must implement principles and practices of safe behavior in all activities.
- Must have B.S./M.S Materials Science, Metallurgy or related discipline that has demonstrated equivalency.
- Preferably this person will have a master’s degree in materials science and engineering.
- At least 5 years of experience in Pure Ti and Ti alloy powder manufacturing or Metallic alloy atomization.
- Must pass a physical exam and drug screening.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be fluent in English.
- Must be able to work with complicated mathematical formulas.
- Must be able to read and understand Risk Assessment (RA) and Job Hazards Analysis (JHA).
- Must wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when required.
- Must be able to read and understand standard operating procedures, material specifications, and instruction manuals.
- Must have knowledge of ISO and AS quality requirements for work activities.
- Must keep working areas neat, tidy and organized at all times.
- Must actively participate in continual improvement activities.
- Must be able to work well within a team.
- Must have proficient computer skills using Windows, SAP, Internet Explorer, Office, and charge calculation software (Infor, Abs, etc.).
- Must have a thorough understanding of theories and practices related to melting, atomization, screening, classifying, measuring, and data monitoring technologies.
- Be able to provide positive mentoring, coaching and training.
- Strong ability for problem solving and trouble shooting
- Strong analytical skill and design of experiments (DoE)
- Creative and innovative
- Hands on experiences with powder manufacturing (inert gas/vacuum atomization) and materials processing.
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 15 000 employees at 186 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.85 billion. Sustaining growth and improving profitability in 2018: order intake to increase up to CHF 3.4 billion, sales to around CHF 3.2 billion, and the EBITDA margin to improve to around 15 % (after investments).
Oerlikon Metco enhances surfaces that bring benefits to customers through a uniquely broad range of surface technologies, equipment, materials and services. With a dynamically growing network of locations worldwide Oerlikon Metco serves industries such as aviation, energy, oil & gas, automotive, industrial and other specialized markets. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team! We have a great benefits package including medical insurance, dental and vision, tuition reimbursement, health and wellness benefits, and 401(K).
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon Metco is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon Metco to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon Metco is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.