Position: Material Process Engineer
Location: Troy, MI
The Process Engineer uses good engineering practices to improve production processes with regards to safety, health, environmental, quality, and productivity while minimizing wastes and costs. He/she typically serves as a member of the facility leadership team and possesses a thorough understanding of standards, concepts, practices, and procedures for metal powder production operations. He/she is self-sufficient, with overall project(s) responsibility and scope depending on his/her skills and competencies. He/she is challenged to support the day-to-day business needs while pursuing mid-term goals. He/she develops/implements a certain degree of creativity and latitude in performing a variety of tasks.
- Perform the duties identified for this job description to the best of your abilities at all times, taking sole responsibility for your actions and the results thereof.
- Ensure Environmental, Safety, and Health, quality, inventory, and productivity goals are met.
- Design and direct the testing or control of processing procedures. Gather process data. Analyze process capabilities and efficiencies.
- Review, evaluate and/or recommend materials, instruments, and equipment.
- Read, write, and/or review standard operating procedures, standard capital projects, purchase requisitions and purchase orders.
- Analyze root causes, non-conformances, and/or complaints. Implement corrective and preventive actions to eliminate to recurrence using quality and engineering toolboxes.
- Support site initiatives to reduce inventory, costs and or lead
- Support capital projects so that they are on time and within budget.
- Support special projects as needed by senior managem
- Maintain liaison with vendors and improvement activities.
- Provide technical training to process operators and lead persons where applicable.
- Monitor material performance and evaluate material deterioration. Analyze failure data and laboratory test results to determine causes of problems and to develop solutions.
- Conduct or supervise tests on raw materials or finished products to ensure their quality.
- Plan and implement laboratory operations for the purpose of developing material and fabrication procedures that meet cost, product specification, and performance standards.
- Plan and evaluate new projects, consulting with other engineers and corporate executives, as necessary.
- Guide technical staff engaged in developing materials for specific uses in projected products or
- Evaluate technical specifications and economic factors relating to process or product design objectives.
- Supervise production and testing processes under specific circumstances.
- Approve use of raw materials in atomization process based on existing and new specifications.
- Create charge calculations according to product specifications.
- Create recipes for existing and new products and modify recipes based on materials used and production
- Analyze chemical results for re-melt, raw materials, and new pr
- Meet individual safety, quality, and production goals.
- Contribute to departmental safety, quality, and production goals.
- Interact with managers, supervisors, co-workers, and customers in a positive-friendly manner.
- Be willing to cross-train in other areas and departments to broaden your capabilities and assist with the overall performance of the company.
- Must read, understand and comply with all Environmental, Safety, and Health and Quality procedures and policies - both - corporate and regulatory, and ensure Oerlikon Five Golden Rules of safety are followed at all times.
- Must implement principles and practices of safe behavior in all activities.
- Implement Oerlikon Mission and Core Values: Integrity, Team Spirit, Excellence, and
- Must have B.S. Materials Science, Metallurgy, Mechanical Engineering, and/or Chemical Engineering or related discipline that has demonstrated equivalency.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen, or Green Card Holder.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and be fluent in Must be able to work with easy mathematical formulas (mathematical skills required)
- Must be able to read and understand Risk Assessment (RA) and Job Hazards Analysis (JHA).
- Must use safe behavior at all times.
- Must wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when required.