Materials & Process Engineer
The M&P Engineer will support the materials and metallurgical science aspect in the Additive Manufacturing (US). The engineer will be responsible for executing internal/ external projects and support manufacturing team as materials/metallurgy resource. Materials Engineer is responsible for developing and executing test plans, collecting and analyzing data, generating written reports, and communicating results to internal and external stakeholders. The position requires hands-on laboratory work with metal powder bed fusion and directed energy deposition equipment, heat treatment furnaces, and materials characterization equipment (SEM, EBSD, EDS, Mechanical Testing). The candidate should possess experience conducting metallurgical evaluations of 3D printed alloys. Furthermore, the candidate should be capable of analyzing data using computer software. Knowledge and previous use of integrated computational materials engineering tools is considered an advantage. Background in powder metallurgy will be a plus.
- Develop and execute M&P projects to understand the powder, structure, property, processing relationships in 3D printed and heat treated and non-heat treated alloys.
- Evaluate/support new and novel alloys and processing strategies for additive manufacturing.
- Analyze project results, compare with existing scientific knowledge, and communicate project outcomes to internal and external stakeholders.
- Operation and understanding of advanced material characterization equipment, heat treatment furnaces, and AM printers
- Provide technical support within the M&P team and to other teams within the organization as needed.
- Candidate must be able to meet ITAR (Internal Traffic In Arms Regulations) requirements and clearance
- Master of Science or Bachelors of Science degree with 3 years relevant experience in Metallurgy or Materials Science & Engineering
- Must have SEM experience (operate and analyse data from SEM/EDS)
- Metallurgical evaluations of alloy powder and 3D printed alloys.
- Understands key 3D printing and heat treatment process parameters and their effect on microstructure development and mechanical performance.
- Metallurgical understanding of conventionally produced nickel, titanium, ferrous, and other non-ferrous alloys commensurate with experience. Particularly emphasis on solidification (casting, welding) and heat treatment related metallurgy.
- Ability to design experiments, generate and analyse data using various analysis methods.
- Ability to generate and clearly present technical data to both technical and non-technical audience
- Ability to manage multiple scientific experiments and projects.
- Ability to generate innovative ideas, know-hows and clearly present to both technical and non-technical audience
- At least 1 year experience performing metallurgical evaluations of additively manufactured materials and alloys. Or, at least 3 years industrial setting where a primary function was understanding the impact of manufacturing processes and heat treatment, on microstructure and material performance for various ferrous and non-ferrous alloys (preferred).
- Experience in laser based powder bed fusion processes will be a plus
- Additive Manufacturing experience is strongly preferred
- Self-motivated team player with excellent communication skills.
- Eager to learn and grow within the organization.
An exciting opportunity to join the newest business unit, Oerlikon Additive Manufacturing, which is an end to end Additive Manufacturing solutions provider, with powder production, design and applications engineering, printing solutions, and post processing solutions including heat treatment and coatings. Oerlikon Additive Manufacturing has R&D Centers and Production Facilities in the US and EU.
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 11 100 employees at 182 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.6 billion. Sustaining growth and improving profitability in 2018: order intake to increase up to CHF 3.4 billion, sales to around CHF 3.2 billion, and the EBITDA margin to improve to around 15 % (after investments).
Oerlikon AM is spearheading the revolution that is Additive Manufacturing. We have gathered together a dynamic team with deep industrial knowledge, backed with state of the art facilities worldwide, built specifically for AM. We can provide AM solutions in metal alloys, ceramics and plastic materials. We can support our own AM printing capability with our own metal powder production, research and development, component design, application engineering and finishing. We are pioneering AM for all scales of manufacture from 1 part to series production runs lasting decades, and across all industries.. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team!
We have a great benefits package including medical insurance, dental and vision, tuition reimbursement, health and wellness benefits, retirement security contribution and 401(K). If you want to operate in a business environment that gives you the freedom to imagine what is possible - please send us your application!
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon AM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon AM to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon AM is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.