Head of Engineering
The head of the engineering team is responsible for further building and developing an AM engineering team at our US site. The candidate will use their prior extensive knowledge of AM, engineering, customer development, operations, and sales to refine the engineering workflow, classify product streams to enable work standardisation and build and coach an engineering team. This role requires strong management capability with experience of assessing engineering team competencies and coaching teams for technical leadership.
The candidate is also expected to take on a customer facing role, to act as a senior representative of the company and support the Sales / Business Development team at customers or industry events.
- Provide professional and technical guidance and mentorship to leaders, engineers, and technicians in the team
- Technical and disciplinary lead
- Mentor to team
- Conduct performance reviews and target agreements
- Lead recruitment processes for engineers, select and introduce new employees
- Create development paths for engineering team members
- Take responsibility for the HR-budget of the engineering department
- Plan, distribute and control operational topics of employees to distribute workload
- Consistently strive to improve the operational performance of the team
- Define strategies to align application, manufacturing and materials & process engineering tasks with the business strategy
- Identify new technologies, processes and material under consideration of business relevancy
- Align the requirements and interests of customers with internal structures and capabilities
- Contact person for customers regarding strategic engineering topics
- Connect engineering teams within the business unit and within Oerlikon
- Being advisory point of contact for engineering related topics
- Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule and project costs using appropriate verification techniques
- Measure project performance using appropriate tools and techniques
- Discuss and coordinate operational engineering topics with the leadership team
- Defining, introducing, approving and controlling processes and tasks related to applications engineering or in other words, develop parts from prototyping to series production.
- Manage the relationship with the customer and all stakeholders
- Perform risk management to minimize project risks
- Establish and maintain relationships with third parties/vendors
Education & Experience:
- Technical (STEM) university degree
- 7+ years’ of progressively broadening manufacturing leadership experience with a strong track record of success in Lean, Six sigma, and continuous improvement methods.
- 3+ years (of the 7+) leading and managing an additive manufacturing production environment
- Commercial experience (with quoting and contracting)
- Experience working as a team leader
- Strong people management experience
- Multiple years of experience in project- management
Skills & Competence:
- Lean Six Sigma certified
- Broad understanding of materials development, manufacturing processes including additive manufacturing, product design, program management, product development and product qualification
- Proactive and results oriented player who wants to help build a high-performance team
- Ability to work well under pressure and act in utmost confidentiality with sensitive leadership information
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills, with the ability to work effectively with and influence others
- Successfully qualified components
- Strong customer focus
- Deep knowledge of additive manufacturing technologies, especially laser-based powder bed fusion for metals
- Self-motivated and open with good organizational skills
- Strong in adapting to new situations and changing priorities
- Comfortable working in global, virtual environments
- Strong English and German language skills one as a native language
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 11 100 employees at 182 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.6 billion. Sustaining growth and improving profitability in 2018: order intake to increase up to CHF 3.4 billion, sales to around CHF 3.2 billion, and the EBITDA margin to improve to around 15 % (after investments).
Oerlikon AM is spearheading the revolution that is Additive Manufacturing. We have gathered together a dynamic team with deep industrial knowledge, backed with state of the art facilities worldwide, built specifically for AM. We can provide AM solutions in metal alloys, ceramics and plastic materials. We can support our own AM printing capability with our own metal powder production, research and development, component design, application engineering and finishing. We are pioneering AM for all scales of manufacture from 1 part to series production runs lasting decades, and across all industries.. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team!
We have a great benefits package including medical insurance, dental and vision, tuition reimbursement, health and wellness benefits, retirement security contribution and 401(K). If you want to operate in a business environment that gives you the freedom to imagine what is possible - please send us your application!
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon AM is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon AM to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon AM is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.