Position: Furnace Operator
Location: Troy, MI
Meets or exceeds safety, quality and production goals. Safely prepare, melt, and atomize metal powder following job instructions. This will include loading the furnace with raw materials, purging down with inert gas, power-up, taking temperatures, inspecting, and pouring the molten metal from a hydraulically positioned induction furnace. Support activities associated with position include preparation and maintenance of the refractory furnace lining, maintenance of accurate production records, delivery of atomized product to the screening area, and cleaning the furnace and atomization system between alloys.
- Meets or exceeds all safety, environmental, and health goals for department.
- Meets or exceeds quality goals for production orders.
- Meets or exceeds productivity targets.
- Notifies lead or supervisor about any problems.
- Contributes to continual improvement activities.
- Operation and monitoring of induction melting equipment used for the gas atomization of nickel and cobalt based alloys. This will include loading the furnace, purging the system with inert gas, power-up, and pouring the molten metal from a hydraulically positioned induction furnace. Responsible for preparation and maintenance of refractory furnace lining. It is important that the furnace operator maintain a constant awareness of the condition of the refractory lining.
- Measure, weigh, and combine raw materials based on specific instructions.
- The furnace operator cleans the furnace and atomization tank between alloys. The operator performs routine maintenance and support activities (e.g. replacement of power leads, disassembly of atomization tank, installation of gas delivery system). The furnace operator is responsible for the cleanliness of his / her work area.
- The furnace operator utilizes process parameters specified in the job traveler. Accurate records are maintained of heats poured noting characteristics such as start and stop time, gas pressures, temperatures, and melt characteristics.
- The furnace operator is responsible for the identification of in-process atomized material, transfer of atomized product to the screening area, and submission of samples to the QC laboratory per instructions on the job traveler.
- Performs other duties as required.
- High School diploma or vocational technical training
- Basic math skills and organization ability
- Basic mechanical knowledge.
- Ability to perform physical tasks, i.e. lifting, bending
- Ability to safely operate cranes and powered industrial vehicles
- Ability to work 12-hour shifts
- Ability to work either 1st shift or 2nd shift.
Oerlikon is a leading global technology Group, with a clear strategy of becoming a global powerhouse in Surface Solutions, advanced materials and materials processing. The Group is committed to investing in value-bringing technologies that provide customers with lighter, more durable materials that are able to increase performance, improve efficiency and reduce the use of scarce resources. A Swiss company with over 100 years of tradition, Oerlikon has a global footprint of over 15 000 employees at 186 locations in 37 countries and sales of CHF 2.85 billion. Sustaining growth and improving profitability in 2018: order intake to increase up to CHF 3.4 billion, sales to around CHF 3.2 billion, and the EBITDA margin to improve to around 15 % (after investments).
Oerlikon Metco enhances surfaces that bring benefits to customers through a uniquely broad range of surface technologies, equipment, materials and services. With a dynamically growing network of locations worldwide Oerlikon Metco serves industries such as aviation, energy, oil & gas, automotive, industrial and other specialized markets. Join us and become a part of our future oriented, international team! We have a great benefits package including medical insurance, dental and vision, tuition reimbursement, health and wellness benefits, and 401(K).
Statement of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action: Oerlikon Metco is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Oerlikon Metco to provide for and promote equal employment opportunity in employment compensation and other terms and conditions of employment without discrimination based on age, race, creed, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, Vietnam Era Veteran status, genetic predisposition, or carrier status. Oerlikon Metco is committed to assuring equal employment opportunity and equal access to services, programs and activities for individuals with disabilities. It is the policy of our company to provide reasonable accommodation to a qualified individual with a disability to enable such individual to perform the essential functions of the position for which he/she is applying or in which he/she is employed. Further, it is our policy to provide reasonable accommodation for religious observers.
The policy applies to all employment practices and actions. It includes, but is not limited to, recruitment, job application process, examination and testing, hiring, training, disciplinary actions, rate of pay or other compensation, advancement, classification, transfer, reassignment and promotions. If you require an accommodation during the application process or for issues concerning Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity please contact Human Resources.