Forming Tool Manufacturing Pushing the performance limits of forming tool manufacturing
About 1 million tonnes of steel and some 200 million tonnes of plastics are produced and processed every year. Thanks to BALINIT coatings, the performance limits of cutting tools used to machine moulds and dies are being constantly pushed forward. BALINIT coatings can also significantly enhance the performance of moulds and dies used in the stamping and forming process.
Most steel and plastic is converted into products using cutting and forming tools. These tools must continually meet new, and more demanding requirements:
- precision - as working speeds and loads increase, manufacturing tolerances are becoming tighter and thinner walled parts must be faultlessly produced
- micro-machining techniques are being deployed to meet the demand for higher precision
- complete finishing on a single machine
- multi-functional tools for flexible machining processes
- dry machining and minimal lubrication to reduce costs, cleaning requirements for workpieces and machines and environmental impact
- improved workpiece quality to reduce reject frequency and the need for finishing work / reworking
- the use of lighter materials to save weight and thereby reduce energy consumption and emissions
These requirements could not be met without PVD coatings. On-going evolution of coating materials is moreover helping a host of industries to keep pace with changing demands. BALINIT® coatings are continually extending the performance limits of cutting, punching and forming tools and tools used for metal die casting and plastics processing.